Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Carfield Yim <ma...@desktop.carfield.com.hk> on 2002/07/27 19:02:20 UTC

office-topic: Ask for opinions of project idea

Hi, I have some friend like to start an opensource for practicing our
programming skill. When we thinking the project idea, I propose the
following, and everyone have no objection:

I used to host a news group in a innd news server for the team-member
communication in a school project. However, some of the team member
complain that they don't like to check news group. Thus I set a mailing
list using mailman, which sync with innd news group. Which really make
the communication better. However, after the project done, I feel that
it will be perfect to have a web forum interface so that we have post
to web anytime when need.

Integrate everything above, I would like to develop a communication
software which a nntp, smtp and http interface. Where nntp for news
reader as it is the most convenience for some users, smtp for mailing
list subscription and http for web interface.

However, when I start to search some java resource of nntp protocol, I
find that james project. When I start to learn the project, seem to me
that james have already finish everything we like to do.

Thus, I would like to ask, if james really able to do the project we
plan to do?

              \\\|///
              \- - -//
             (  @ @  )
-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------------------------------
Visit my homepage at http://www.carfield.com.hk

Programming discussion groups
Software design: news://news.carfield.com.hk/programming.design
Design Pattern: news://news.carfield.com.hk/programming.design.pattern
java: news://news.carfield.com.hk/programming.java
linux: news://news.carfield.com.hk/programming.linux

RE: office-topic: Ask for opinions of project idea

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
JAMES support for NNTP needs lots of work.  That might make a good project
for your group.

	--- Noel