Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/23 05:12:03 UTC

New non-Apache Sanselan release

Hi all,

   I've released a new non-Apache build (0.88) of Sanselan.  It's
available here:

http://fightingquaker.com/sanselan/

   It reflects the current state of the repo (though it is missing the
unit tests, test image suite, etc.).  The package hierarchy in this
release has been changed to not use org.apache.*

   The concise release notes are:

Version 0.88 released January 22nd, 2008.

    * Added EXIF insert/update/remove functionality. See
WriteExifMetadataExample.java for examples.
    * Rewrote JPEG and TIFF parsing.
    * Greatly elaborated the unit test suite and test image suite. In
the process found and resolved many bugs.
    * Once again, I hope this is the last non-apache release. =)

   This project - Exif insert/update/remove - turned out to be much
more involved than I initially thought.  I ended up rewriting a great
deal of the Tiff/Jpeg/Exif related code in the process of doing it.

   On the last point, I wonder what we can do to reach the point of
our first apache build.  I saw the following message on the
incubator's general mailing list a few weeks ago.  Would it be a good
idea to enlist Robert's help?

Charles.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>    On reflection, I think we should make the test data separate from
> the unit tests.  Not all of the unit tests use the test data.
> Moreover, the test data is quite large (and will hopefully continue to
> grow).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by separating?

I hope to make a test run for building a release sometime next week, so
we can all have a look and see which things are missing/need to change
in terms of a distribution.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: New non-Apache Sanselan release

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both points.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Charles,

On Jan 24, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>   I'm not really familiar with that option.  Can you elaborate or
> perhaps share a url?

http://maven.apache.org is the starting point for information. I've
been using maven for a while now and it's very popular among open
source projects. In order to use sanselan in a project, all you need
to do is to include a few lines of code in an xml file and you're
done. Maven will download the jar file and include it in your build
and run environments.

For example, to use sanselan in another project, you'd declare this in
your configuration file:

         <dependency>
             <groupId>org.apache.sanselan</groupId>
             <artifactId>sanselan</artifactId>
             <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
         </dependency>

>   What trade-offs do we face in this decision?

It's just a bit more work setting up the publication of the jar file
in the maven repository. All the usual due diligence is still required
to prepare the jar file for publication.

Best,

Craig

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,