Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Bastian Hofmann <BH...@vz.net> on 2010/07/21 17:16:50 UTC

Handling responses of os:HttpRequest

Hi,

we are currently migrating our PHP shindig deployment to the current trunk. While testing the os:HttpRequest Tag I came around a significant difference between the PHP Shindig and the tutorial in the OpenSocial wiki.

http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=OpenSocial_Templates_Developer%27s_Guide#Fetching_data_from_a_URL

says that a Json construct like this

{
  friends : [
    {
      name: 'David',
      interests: 'Cooking',
    },
    {
      name: 'Charles',
      interests: 'Hiking',
    },
    {
      name: 'Mary',
      interests: 'Football',
    },
  ]
}

can be fetched with

<os:HttpRequest key="friends" href="http://myfriendsserver.com"/>
and viewed with

<li repeat="${friends}">
     </li>

The current PHP implementation handles this a bit differently:

<li repeat="${friends.result.content.friends}">
</li>

Here the first "friends" is the key of the os:HttpRequest, "result" and "content" come from the php implementation and the second "friends" is from the json object.

Which is the right implementation and how is it done in the Java Shindig?

I looked into the spec http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/OpenSocial-Data-Pipelining.html#HttpRequest and it seems that the PHP way is correct instead of the tutorial. Should I change the tutorial or submit a patch to the PHP Shindig?

Best regards

Bastian

VZnet Netzwerke Ltd. || Saarbruecker Str. 38 || D - 10405 Berlin

Tel:    +49 (30) 4050427 513
Fax:
Mobil:

BHofmann@vz.net
http://www.studivz.net/bastian

www.studivz.net, www.meinvz.net, www.schuelervz.net

VZnet Netzwerke Limited, Registered Office Berlin, Registration Court Charlottenburg, HRB 101454
Executive Directors: Clemens Riedl, Thomas Baum
Non-Executive Directors: Dr. Michael Brockhaus, Martin Weber, Claas van Delden
Headquarters: VZnet Netzwerke Limited, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3TW, United Kingdom
Companies House Cardiff No. 5607971, Place of Registration: England and Wales

Re: Handling responses of os:HttpRequest

Posted by Bastian Hofmann <BH...@vz.net>.
Hey,

I just wanted to pop this up. Any comments? If not, than I'd propose that I change the tutorial in the wiki according to the PHP implementation and Spec example.

Best regards

Bastian