Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/23 16:49:28 UTC

Run multiple instances of tomcat on windows

Hi
I want to run 2 instance of tomcat on windows server, both of them are
5.5.20,
1. Is it possible to have them as 2 services so i can stop and start them
independently?
2. Do i have to install it twice?
3. Can i use java 1.4.2 for one and java 1.5.0 for other
4. I can setup one tomcat as startup job in windows, but then how do i make
sure that all the log files go to stdout.log and stderr.log instead of on
the dos window.

Is there any step by step document of doing this

Ashish

Re: Run multiple instances of tomcat on windows

Posted by Cartman <tr...@gmail.com>.
You must create the directory structure... and set the environment vars.

CATALINA_HOME/
CATALINA_HOME/bin
CATALINA_HOME/common .....
.
.
.

CATALINA_BASE/
CATALINA_BASE/instance1
CATALINA_BASE/instance1/conf
CATALINA_BASE/instance1/webapps
.
.
.

CATALINA_BASE/
CATALINA_BASE/instance2
CATALINA_BASE/instance2/conf
CATALINA_BASE/instance2/webapps
.
.
.

On 6/25/07, David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
> > Hi
> > The problem i am having is, when i installed second instance of tomcat
> it
> > replaced the windows service for the first tomcat, so i have only one
> > tomcat
> Use service.bat from the .zip package to create another service.  The
> easiest way to handle this is to do the windows installation, and then
> unzip the .zip distribution on top of the windows installation.  That
> way you have the first service to use as a model when you create the
> second service.
>
> > service in windows,
> > can i install one more service in tomcat now for the first installed
> > tomcat,
> > if so how
>

> > Ashish

> are
> >> them
> >>

> >> yes, each instance run its own service.
> >>
> >> 2. Do i have to install it twice?
> >>

> >> yes, you have
> >>
> >> 3. Can i use java 1.4.2 for one and java 1.5.0 for other
> >>

> >> ok
> >>
> >> 4. I can setup one tomcat as startup job in windows, but then how do i
> >> make
> of
> >> on
> >>

> >> you can configure when tomcat write the log, but by default it is the
> >> same.
> >>
> >> Is there any step by step document of doing this
> >>

> >> I don't think, there are some information but is not explicit.

Gracias.
Atentamente,
Carlos Arturo Trujillo Silva
Ingeniero de Sistemas

Re: Run multiple instances of tomcat on windows

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Cartman <tr...@gmail.com>.
I think that you are installing tomcat with the windows installer.... thats
is not a good idea.  I ever install tomcat with the file ziped; there, in
the bin directory you find a service.bat, with this bat you can install
tomcat as a windows service... and... you must install the services that you
want. May be you wana modify the service.bat and add the TOMCAT_BASE
environment variable.

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Cartman <tr...@gmail.com>.