Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/03/17 10:55:52 UTC

[ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Hi,

While testing latest 4.5, I found that VPC routers have ENABLED=0 in
'/etc/default/cloud-passwd-srvr' -- so password server won't run in VPC
VRs to serve for vms/templates that are password enabled.

Is password server disabled by default for VPCs? Is there a way to
enable it; is this a bug or we don't allow password enabled templates in
VPCs?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Sounds like a very serious bug. :/
Curios why this happens.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
Just to confirm, I've ran a lot of tests against 4.5-rc3, using password
enabled templates inside VPC and it all work perfectly, including userdata
and sshkey, ssh reset, password reset,...

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
I was kidding, Rohit. Good job :)

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Lucian,

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Now I'm geting nervous :(   If user data is enabled for network offering,
it DID work in 4.3.0 (this was upgrade from 4.2, 4,0...)

I'm testing now with 4.3.2 - this is serious if broken now..

@Rohit - where is patch from 4.3.0 or 4.3.2 ?

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
I confirm it still does work on 4.3.2 - I have User Data enabled on the
network offerings, which I beleive is an requirement.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Ian!

> On 17-Mar-2015, at 5:25 pm, Ian Southam <IS...@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>
> Password server is run in vpc via vpc_passwd_server a little wrapper script that is kicked off on guest network creation by vpc_guestnw.sh

Thanks for sharing, this was the reason it was failing for me as the improved Python based password server was not being used in the vpc’s passwd_server scripts.

Posted by Ian Southam <IS...@schubergphilis.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Andrija,

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.
>> Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in
>> error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.
>> ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is
>> operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil
>> Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated
>> under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
>> registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license
>> from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
>>

> --
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

Andrija Panić

Re: [ASK] Is password server disabled in VPC?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
 From the patchsystemvm.sh script looks like the password service is
disabled for VPCs:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/4.5/systemvm/patches/debian/config/opt/cloud/bin/patchsystemvm.sh#L109