Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/08/30 20:55:24 UTC

Self containing all Slider app artifacts

Should we also move slider-client.tar.gz and application package into the
application instance specific folder in HDFS? This along with the changes
due to SLIDER-330 will likely make the application bits completely self
contained.

-Sumit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Self containing all Slider app artifacts

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Should we also move slider-client.tar.gz and application package into the
> > application instance specific folder in HDFS? This along with the changes
> > due to SLIDER-330 will likely make the application bits completely self
> > contained.
>
> Maybe I’ve been buried in security related work for too long so…
>
> 1)  slider-client.tar.gz?  Do you mean slider-agent.tar.gz or is there a
> client installer?

Yes, slider-agent.tar.gz. And no, we haven't secretly added another tarball
:-)

> 2)  what is the “application instance specific folder”?
> hdfs://user/<username>/slider or the like?

Subfolders within hdfs:///user/<username>/.slider/cluster/<cluster name>.
Some AM artifacts are already there under tmp.

3)  Do we really want to group Slider/AM artifacts and various application
> artifacts together?  Perhaps under a shared parent directory rather than
> the same directory?

We can define a folder structure that keeps various artifacts separate.
There are two classes of artifacts, "application definition", and "Slider
infrastructure". The later includes slider-agent, yarn libraries, AppMaster
libraries, etc.

* At least the slider-agent.tar.gz could move in as part of the Slider
infra. There are two choices here and second one is just an optimization
**  Store all Slider infra in a sub-folder within
hdfs:///user/<username>/.slider/cluster/<cluster name>
** Create a common area in HDFS and refer to the infrastructure bits from
there (a common world readable location)

* The application definition zip file can also be moved in to say
 hdfs:///user/<username>/.slider/cluster/<cluster name>/definition

The advantages will be that the application will be self contained and
upgrades, to package or slider, can happen independently for each
application instance. Again it may be a disadvantage if one wants to
upgrade all instances together but that is really a tooling issues.

Are there any TEZ/MR best practices that we can refer to?

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.
On Aug 30, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Should we also move slider-client.tar.gz and application package into the
> application instance specific folder in HDFS? This along with the changes
> due to SLIDER-330 will likely make the application bits completely self
> contained.

Maybe I’ve been buried in security related work for too long so…

1)  slider-client.tar.gz?  Do you mean slider-agent.tar.gz or is there a client installer?
2)  what is the “application instance specific folder”?  hdfs://user/<username>/slider or the like?
3)  Do we really want to group Slider/AM artifacts and various application artifacts together?  Perhaps under a shared parent directory rather than the same directory?

> -Sumit
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE