Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/09/04 23:03:47 UTC

how to switch without losing files

I have a branch with directories a, b, and c.

I have another branch with directorys b and c (a is missing).

I checkout from the 1st branch, and have in my working copy directories a, b, and c.

I do an svn switch to the 2nd branch, using svn switch --force --accept
mine-full ..., and I see messages like:

D path-to-a

and when I look, the switch has deleted the a directory in my working copy.

Is there a way to have the switch keep from deleting "a"?  So when I switch
back, later, to the 1st branch where a exists, it can commit just the changes in
that tree?

-Marshall Schor

Re: how to switch without losing files

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Marshall Schor,
am Mittwoch, 4. September 2013 um 23:03 schrieben Sie:

[...]
> and when I look, the switch has deleted the a directory in my working copy.

Because --force.

> Is there a way to have the switch keep from deleting "a"? So when I switch
> back, later, to the 1st branch where a exists, it can commit just the changes in
> that tree?

No, not using --force would result in a staying unversioned in your
working copy, but on switching back to a branch where a already exists
this would lead to a tree conflict. There was a lengthy discussion
about that recently.

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@subversion.apache.org/msg19000.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning