Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/29 15:35:13 UTC

fix testing in next major release

I would like to start to rewrite all of our tests to make them really relianle.

The problems that I want to fix are the following:

- try to remove most of the sleep w e have around
- remove JS tests when it's about testing the HTTP API. There are
actually no reason to test the HTTP API by faking a browser like we do
actually when we could test expected response against requests. The JS
tests should only be used eventually to test the the _change API or
CORS features, basically any browser features. But we are still doing
it wrong right now.
- Etap is not maintained anymore. I think we should move to eunit and
other standards things.

Thoughts?

- benoit

Re: fix testing in next major release

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@apache.org>.
I think this is a fantastic idea. I'd be interested in helping wherever
necessary to make this happen.

Wendall

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>.
I'd be glad to help with this effort if it's the direction we choose to go in.

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.
For Pouch we have spent a lot of time rewriting a lot of the couch tests to
be suitable for testing Pouch, we have put a pretty huge effort into
testing and although our current suite isnt a suitable replacement for the
couch suite, if it was possible I would definitely love to work on a single
suite that covered both projects.

For PouchDB we have to use async javascript, there isnt any budge for us on
that part.

Mocking xhr is messy, we just use a simple wrapper that uses http /
requests api in node.js and xhr in the browser, its proved very reliable,
for the last few months we have almost no false positives that werent
related to travis / saucelabs infrastructure.

This would require using the pouch interface to define the tests (the whole
point is to use a single interface to test multiple implementations) but
this is pretty much a direct (and better supported) replacement for CouchJS

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Big +1 from me.