Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz> on 2012/03/21 20:13:36 UTC

Why Portlet is good for Losing Weight

The questions are :
===========
1) which solution "generate or need" less code
   - PortalPage with multiple portlet
   - screen with multiple subscreen and form

2) is migration generated regression or bugs

In my opinion:
=========
1)
- it's easier to use one portlet in multiple portalPage than a form in a
screen, because only portlet should be update when a add or update
action is done.
- with portletAttribute it's easier to define specifics portalPage
without new development, ex Supplier Profile page versus Employee Profile
- for business Analyst and developer, boundary is more clear with
portlet than sub-screen
- it's easier to do generic form using by multiple portlet, ex: file
content management (add, new version, update) form is used by
PartyContentFiles, WorkEffortContentFiles, ...
I know, most of the reasons is "ajax update" not portlet or sub-screen ;-)

2)
- migration can be done by extending existing form for the first
release, so not replace but added
- migration should change nothing in service only in user interface, so
correction is small
- bad point for portlet:  sometime user have bug because there is a
wrong data in PortalPortlet entity (or portletAttributes or ..) so it's
more difficult for community to reproduce and to answer, if the current
default data is correct.
- Sometime migration help to clean some form, and so solve some bugs.

Ps: In the last 2 years, most our customer has been done with Portlet
(migrate from ofbiz screen or new one) most of these development are in
separate addons, one per "component-portlet migrate", and other for new
features.
We (company I'm workinf for) has never send their because we (and
specially me) had to time to review and clean the first addon which is
portletWidget. This task is done since today :-)
Each addon should be reviewed before being sent, but it will not be a
too large job each time,

Re: Why Portlet is good for Losing Weight

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
I know jetspeed-2, but nothing about the the screen-engine.
It will be good idea to integrate JS2. It's well maintained portal and
will save a lot of efforts.
I never through about integrating it directly, rather than using it
through XML RPC or JSON.
I don't have a clear plan, but if there is interest in the community
we can think about it.

Here's some brain storming:
1- Extend freemarker Portlet (or maybe XSLT), and give it an init pram
for the screen it has to render.
Note, I didn't see a freemarker portlet in the portlet bridges
project. But I don't imagine it's hard to create if needed.
However, since the screens are defined in xml it could be easier to
use xslt. For the decorators, jetspeed has separate decoration
mechanism http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/tutorial/02/page-decoration.html

2- From the screen definition it will load an unique identifier.
3- change all the links and actions url back to the portlet instance.

If I know the screen-engine better, things will be easier. I am having
a look at it now.

One last thing is deployments. I didn't think about how each
application will be deployed.
If there's interest in the community, we can create a prototype
application. I know a member in
jetspeed  team, at some point war very interested in integrating an
ERP. He may help.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Hi Mansour,

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.