Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org> on 2021/05/24 14:36:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.3.1 - RC1

Hi community,

This is the release candidate RC1 of Apache Hadoop 3.3.1 line. All blocker
issues have been resolved.

It contains 697 fixed jira issues [2] since 3.3.0 which include a lot of
features and improvements(read the full set of release notes).

Below feature additions are the highlights of the release.
Using lz4-java in Lz4Codec
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17292>
Using snappy-java in SnappyCodec
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17125>
Provide Regex Based Mount Point In Inode Tree
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-15891>
Add Public IOStatistics API
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16830>
ABFS: Delegation SAS Generator Updates
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17076>
ABFS: Delegation SAS generator for integration with Ranger
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16916>
Über-jira: S3A Hadoop 3.3.1 features
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16829>
Add Metrics to HttpFS Server
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-15711>
EC: Verify EC reconstruction correctness on DataNode
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-15759>
Standby NameNode process getBlocks request to reduce Active load
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-13183>
LocatedFileStatusFetcher to collect/publish IOStatistics
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-7315>

*RC tag is release-3.3.1-RC1
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/releases/tag/release-3.3.1-RC1

*The RC1 artifacts are at*:
https://home.apache.org/~weichiu/hadoop-3.3.1-RC1/
ARM artifacts: https://home.apache.org/~weichiu/hadoop-3.3.1-RC1-arm/

*The maven artifacts are hosted here:*
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1314/

*My public key is available here:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/hadoop/common/KEYS

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12350491
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(YARN%2C%20HADOOP%2C%20MAPREDUCE%2C%20HDFS)%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20(
3.3.1)%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Resolved%20ORDER%20BY%0AfixVersion%20ASC

My ask:
(1) please use the bits to test downstream applications. I am aware of a
number of API changes between 3.1.x and 3.3.1 and even between 3.3.0 and 3.3
.1. You should use this as an opportunity to test out applications and be
ready for it.

(2) please check out the release notes and change log, find out if anything
important should be included in 3.3.1.

Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for 5 days until
2021/05/30 at 00:00 CST.

Things I've verified:
* all blocker issues targeting 3.3.1 have been resolved.
* stable/evolving API changes between 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 are compatible.
* LICENSE and NOTICE files checked
* RELEASENOTES and CHANGELOG
* rat check passed.

Regards,
Weichiu

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.3.1 - RC1

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Ozone tests:

A few issues were found during the test.
(1) HADOOP-17730 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17730> as
mentioned previously, this is a Hadoop side problem, which requires
a new Hadoop thirdparty release.
(2) class path conflicts. As Ozone was split from Hadoop, it copies a few
test utility from Hadoop but didn't relocate the classpaths. This is an
Ozone-side problem.
(3) mockito2 migration caused by HADOOP-14178
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-14178>. Again, Ozone's test
code partially depends on Hadoop, which previously used Mockito 1. There's
some migration work required at Ozone side.

HBase:

   1. HBASE-25928 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-25928> behavior
   change in Configuration in Hadoop 3.3.0 caused by
   2. HADOOP-15708 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-15708>.

I think we better document this somewhere, because Configuration class is
used widely.

Additionally,

   1. MAPREDUCE-7348
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-7348> caused
   by commons-io update
   2.
      1.
         1. HADOOP-17563
         <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17563> bumped
         bouncycastle version but it breaks Spark and HBase.
      3.

   1. HADOOP-17292
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17292> replaced
      lz4 codec with lz4-java. But it's declared as provided scope, requiring
      downstream applications such as HBase to declare the dependency
explicitly.
      It would be best to add a release note.

I propose to start a RC2 to include
(1) hadoop-thirdparty 1.1.1 (release vote in progress),
(2) MAPREDUCE-7348,
(3) revert HADOOP-17563,
(4) add release notes to HADOOP-17292 and HADOOP-14178.

Please review the hadoop-thirdparty 1.1.1 RC0 and cast a vote. Thanks!

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Ozone tests:

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Ozone tests: