Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru> on 2003/06/07 19:57:24 UTC

Self introduction as a new commiter

Hello, Team!

I'm very greatfull to all of you for your trust and
for the acceptance into the community!

I'm really proud of this
and here comes my story.

Born 1978, Moscow

Have never programmed a Commodore in my life,
but spent some time with 8-32kb PDP-11-style
computer-like appliences, and it was fun :)

When I was really starting the most avanced organizations
here already had IBM XT around, so -- Borland Pascal 5.5,
Turbo C 2.0, Borland C++ 2.0 -- I beleive that
almost any computer-crazy kid here has gone this path -
Borland products were really popular.

Liceum of Information Technologies #1533 (high school) in
1993-1995 was a really great gathering of crazy peoples --
both students and tutotors, I guess it still is :-),
then the colledge, web development Tomcat/Cocoon, database
development, designing technical requirements for yet-to-built
software, again web development -- I guess not really to
much to tell about -- coding, coding, again coding --
and sometimes software design :-)

First got in touch with java apache products when we were
plugging JServ to work with our Apache web servers, then
got interested in Cocoon 1, have made a certain amount
of development with it, now again trying to apply modular
design principles to the sofware that I build.

Have a tendency to building meta-tools and reusable components,
an affection to elegant software design. Trying to be thourough
and even over-thorough in everything I do. Am I a perfectionist?

Have been married for 4 months now, youhoo! :-)
something I've been dreaming long enough about.

I'm located in Moscow, GMT+3,
have never heppened to be further then Helsinki or Stockholm
from here, but hope I still have a chance to see more!

Have had a chance to learn to speak English relatively well
- and this has been a huge benefit in the computer sciece
world - I really have spent a bit of time learning it at
my school age, have attempted to learn a bit of French, and
still urge to have a chance to continue that. I like the west,
but words like Tokyo, Japan just magnetise my as much as
France and Paris do, so I was equally impressed to read
both whoweare/leif.xml and McConnel on Paris pubs :)

I guess http://www.mavicanet.com is the largest of the
things I have built (as one of the leading developers)
and it currently can be seen online. (It was my Cache
DBMS era, dreadfull impressions on the part of software
design we were forced to adopt by this product and
from its reliablility, don't advise anybody in sane
mind to use it, but the project still works :-)

Okay, I guess I have been talking too long about
what is can really told about in short words. I think
that working with you, as a part of Avalon team, will
be a nice addition to this biography, I have been
encouraged by your wellcoming attitude and I like the
atmosphere here, thank you! :-)

- Anton

Re: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:
> I like the west,
> but words like Tokyo, Japan just magnetise my as much as
> France and Paris do, so I was equally impressed to read
> both whoweare/leif.xml and McConnel on Paris pubs :)

No worries. I lived about 250 miles from Paris for 16 years and never
once made it there :)

Ulrich

Re: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Shash Chatterjee <sh...@hotmail.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>spent some time with 8-32kb PDP-11-style
>>>computer-like appliences, and it was fun
>

>>Back in the days of real computers.
>

> I have the original KIM-1 manuals.  But those are only old in terms of the
> PC.  I am probably the only one here to have actually seen an old drum
> memory (albiet one sitting in storage in Room 100), or a mercury delay line.
>
> 	--- Noel

Oh no, you're not :-)  I have worked on real-time radar simulations on
Honeywell DDP-516s with drum memory and paper tape, and PDP-11s with
core memory.  The interesting thing was that by the time I worked on it,
the drums were so old we had to kick-start them after power-up...I mean
literally "kick" start, until some enterprising lab-tech replaced it
with a custom-designed all-semiconductor version.  The final funny thing
on that computer was that years later someone showed me an old
Nieman-Marcus (a very exclusive department store in the U.S.) '70s
Christmas Catalog where an orange DDP-516 was advertized as *the*
"Kitchen Computer" for the space-age (this thing was the size of a large
frdge).

Shash

RE: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > I am probably the only one here to have actually seen an old drum
> > memory (albiet one sitting in storage in Room 100), or a mercury
> > delay line.

> Oh no, you're not :-)  I have worked on real-time radar simulations on
> Honeywell DDP-516s with drum memory and paper tape, and PDP-11s with
> core memory.

LOL Cool.  The old read-once memory.  ;-)

> the drums were so old we had to kick-start them after power-up...I mean
> literally "kick" start

Yes, I believe you.  We use to joke about having to get a seismic survey
before we could turn on more than two of them.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Shash Chatterjee <sh...@hotmail.com>.

Re[2]: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
NJB> PC.  I am probably the only one here to have actually seen an old drum
NJB> memory (albiet one sitting in storage in Room 100), or a mercury delay
NJB> line.

NH> Drum memories, such modernities!!! How about coil-wound DRAMs, from days when
NH> computers computed and not stored??

NH> First non-personal-computer I used in 81/82, had drum memories still operating
NH> as virtual memory.

Okay, I'm not as cool as you, gentelmen ;-)
but this talks has made me remember that
for a while I was programming a computer
which had 1kb of memory and it was on
ferro-magnetic. The funny thing was that
it kept its contents even when switched off.
I could come back in 2 weeks and the data/code
was still there. So RAM == long-time-storage
on that applience. It had two rows of digital
indicators to communicat to humans
and a tape reader/writer (running
on regular moder tapes that are now being
replaced by CD-s), yup a funny applience :-)

BTW is ferro-magnetic memory == coil-wound?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> First non-personal-computer I used in 81/82, had drum memories
> still operating as virtual memory.

LOL I have you beat by a few years.  Programming ALGOL on the old Chi
Corp/Case 1108 in the Summer of '78.

Talk about walking down memory lane (pun intended) ...

	--- Noel

Re: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 08 June 2003 06:29 pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > >spent some time with 8-32kb PDP-11-style
> > >computer-like appliences, and it was fun
> >
> > Back in the days of real computers.
>
> I have the original KIM-1 manuals.  But those are only old in terms of the
> PC.  I am probably the only one here to have actually seen an old drum
> memory (albiet one sitting in storage in Room 100), or a mercury delay
> line.

Drum memories, such modernities!!! How about coil-wound DRAMs, from days when
computers computed and not stored??

First non-personal-computer I used in 81/82, had drum memories still operating
as virtual memory.

Those were the days...

Niclas

RE: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru> wrote:

>spent some time with 8-32kb PDP-11-style
>computer-like appliences, and it was fun

Back in the days of real computers.
Welcome aboard!

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hello, Anton.

I am a Japanese who became one of the commiters in apache-world
recently, as well as you.

I am not a developer in Avalon area, but I want to express my feelings
"Congratulations".

I learned Russian in my college days as a second foreign language,
at the University of Tokyo. I'm very interested in Russia, yet
I have not been to. Now I am not in Tokyo, but Hokkaido, the northern
part of Japan.
(I decided to choose Russian because I was inspired by the famous
physicist, Landau, as well as the mathematician, Smirnov)

Hope to see you on the various lists in some time.

Sincerely, (da svidanya)

Tetsuya. (Man ;-)

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 21:57:24 +0400
(Subject: Self introduction as a new commiter)

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp : tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

RE: Self introduction as a new commiter

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Anton Tagunov [mailto:atagunov@mail.cnt.ru]
>
> Born 1978, Moscow

An excellent year. They don't make years like that anymore.

> When I was really starting the most avanced organizations
> here already had IBM XT around, so -- Borland Pascal 5.5,
> Turbo C 2.0, Borland C++ 2.0 -- I beleive that
> almost any computer-crazy kid here has gone this path -
> Borland products were really popular.

Yup. But I went Turbo Basic -> Turbo Pascal -> Borland C++.

Welcome, mate.

/LS