Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Yuanbo Liu <li...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/04 07:38:47 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Hello Incubator Community,

    This is a call for a vote to release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) version
    0.8.0-incubating RC2

    The Apache TubeMQ community has voted on and approved a proposal to
release
    Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) version 0.8.0-incubating RC2

    We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
    incubator release.

    TubeMQ community vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r452748075dd46a1b08f8f5bc51444c90d69e24c479a98d38f8dad576%40%3Cdev.tubemq.apache.org%3E

    Vote result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r970fcc319ca41ae53b1125a6c51244e9779cc01ad5530c855e39ad3e%40%3Cdev.tubemq.apache.org%3E

    The release candidate:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tubemq/0.8.0-incubating-RC2/

    Git tag for the release:
    • https://github.com/apache/incubator-tubemq/tree/0.8.0-incubating-RC2

    Release notes:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tubemq/releases/tag/0.8.0-incubating-RC2

    The artifacts signed with PGP key E8754243E7B3E044, corresponding to
yuanbo@apache.org, that can be found in keys file:
    • https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tubemq/KEYS

    The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until a necessary number
of votes are reached.

    Please vote accordingly:

    [ ] +1 approve
    [ ] +0 no opinion
    [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
On behalf of Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) community

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by "Daniel B. Widdis" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Craig,

As Justin pointed out, while the "Java Edition" includes the AL 2.0
license, there are additional restrictions on the website [1]:

"The our open source license permits you to use Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB
Java Edition or Berkeley DB XML at no charge under the condition that if
you use the software in an application you redistribute, the complete
source code for your application must be available and freely
redistributable under reasonable conditions. "

[1] - Oracle Berkeley DB Licensing Information
<https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb/berkeleydb-licensing.html>

Dan Widdis

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The reference [2] refers to the three different licenses for the three different products. There are three links to three different license pages.
>
> https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-oslicense.html
> https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-jeoslicense.html
> https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-xmloslicense.html
>
> As I read it, the only license that would allow an Apache project to have a hard dependency and to redistribute is the Berkeley DB Java Edition.

I agree assuming no other conditions apply, but it unclear if that is the case. I assume this is intentional as Oracle wants you to use the commercial version.

I did see in the wikipedia page that other projects have use this [1] as a replacement due to the licensing issues. There's also a fork [2] but I not fully checked the licensing.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database
2. https://github.com/bloomberg/comdb2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
The reference [2] refers to the three different licenses for the three different products. There are three links to three different license pages.

https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-oslicense.html
https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-jeoslicense.html
https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-xmloslicense.html

As I read it, the only license that would allow an Apache project to have a hard dependency and to redistribute is the Berkeley DB Java Edition. The others are unacceptable to Apache except as optional dependencies (in which case the user would have to install the dependencies and accept the conditions).

Craig

> On Feb 18, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Berkeley DB uses a Category X non-commercial license, which Justin points out is not an open source license.
>>
>> Berkeley DB Java Edition uses a standard Apache License, v2.0 with an additional license that appears to be the 3-clause BSD license for an embedded third-party component; both of which are Category A licenses.
>
> I'm not 100% sure this is the case, it’s not 100% clear from that page [1] that Berkeley DB Java Edition is licensed differently.
>
> This page [2] has conflicting but non Apache compatible information:
> "The our open source license permits you to use Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB Java Edition or Berkeley DB XML at no charge under the condition that if you use the software in an application you redistribute, the complete source code for your application must be available and freely redistributable under reasonable conditions. If you do not want to release the source code for your application, you may purchase a license from Oracle. For pricing information, or if you have further questions on licensing, please contact us at berkeleydb-info_us@oracle.com."
>

> Thanks,
> Justin
>

> 1. https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb-downloads.html
> 2 https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb/berkeleydb-licensing.html

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Which Oracle product is TubeMQ dependent on?

From what I see, there are two distinct Oracle products, with different licenses:

Berkeley DB uses a Category X non-commercial license, which Justin points out is not an open source license.

Berkeley DB Java Edition uses a standard Apache License, v2.0 with an additional license that appears to be the 3-clause BSD license for an embedded third-party component; both of which are Category A licenses.

So if the project uses only Berkeley DB Java Edition, all is well. If it uses Berkeley DB then we have a problem.

Regards,
Craig

> On Feb 18, 2021, at 1:46 PM, Daniel B. Widdis <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the clarification, Justin!  I missed that non-commercial
> limitation.
>
> I agree that it would be better to replace that dependency,
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 1:41 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My concern is that while it claims it is under the Apache license that is
>> only for non-commercial use. Having a restriction like that means it’s not
>> really under the Apache license.
>>
>> It states on that page [1]
>> "Our open source license is OSI-certified and permits use of Berkeley DB
>> in open source projects or in applications that are not distributed to
>> third parties.”
>> "Our commercial license permits closed-source distribution of an
>> application to third parties and provides business assurance"
>>
>> ASF releases need to be distributed to third parties, ASF releases can’t
>> have non-commercial restrictions.
>>
>> IMO It would be best if the project replaced this dependancy with
>> something else.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>>
>> 1.
>> https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb-downloads.html

> Dan Widdis

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by "Daniel B. Widdis" <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Daniel B. Widdis" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Can you be clear on what you mean by "has no standard license file" and "no
open source code channel"?

I started at this download page [1].

On that page near the top is a link to "more details" on licensing, which
points to [2].

The link there for "Open source license for Berkeley DB Java Edition"
points to [3] which is the Apache License, 2.0.

From [1], I downloaded the file Berkeley DB Java Edition je-7.5.11.zip and
extracted it.  It contains a LICENSE file exactly matching the license
shown in [3], the Apache License, 2.0.

The extracted zip file also contains a complete copy of the source code.

You are correct that it is not published on Maven, but is that a
requirement for a dependency?  The only "obstacle" to downloading is that
one has to create a (free) Oracle account to download it.  Is this a
disqualifying factor?

I am unclear on why this is not permitted as a dependency for an Apache
project.

[3] - https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-jeoslicense.html

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 3:31 AM Goson zhang <go...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> We carefully analyzed the dependency package berkeleydb-je. I think
> what @Justin
> Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>  said is correct: it has no standard
> license file, no open source code channel, and cannot be downloaded from
> the central repository. All off all , It does have a problem.
>
> I will restore the WIP label until it is replaced with the new scheme.
>
> Thanks all!
>

> Goson zhang <go...@apache.org> 于2021年2月11日周四 下午9:07写道:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I made the following adjustments according to your suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Sorted out and supplemented the LICENSE of each binary dependency
> > package.
> >
> > 2. Delete tubemq-manager and tubemq-web modules related content:
> >     In the process of combing, it is found that tubemq-manager contains a
> > dependency package of the GNU GPL V2 LICENSE. This version deletes the
> > module, and then merges it into the official version after finishing the
> > relevant checks for dependency packages.
> >     Since more than 60 files of tubemq-web module are not authorized by
> > LICENSE, they will be merged into the mainline version after finishing
> the
> > LICENSE information checks of the code and dependent packages.
> >
> > 3. Solved the problem of compiling:
> >      When compiling with the mvn compile command, the pom dependency of
> > tubemq-docker needs to obtain the dependency package of tubemq from the
> > warehouse instead of locally, so a compilation error occurs; this part
> > should be a pom problem, and solve the problem when the next version is
> > released(does not affect the main line).
> >
> > 4. LICENSE problem of bdb:
> >     Through everyone's discussion and confirmation, the 7.3.7 version of
> > berkeleydb-je is authorized under Apache V2 LICENSE, which is explained
> in
> > detail in the LICENSE file of TubeMQ; subsequent project evolution will
> > consider gradually removing this component.
> >
> > 5. Modify the contents of the CHANGES.md file and add this modification
> > item.
> >
> > Please see if there are any other problems. If OK, we will launch a new
> > round of version release.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Goson zhang <go...@apache.org> 于2021年2月11日周四 下午2:55写道:
> >
> >> Ok, thanks Daniel!
> >>

> >> Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com> 于2021年2月11日周四 下午2:10写道:

> point

> binary

> by
> goes
> and

Dan Widdis

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Hi all:

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Hi all:

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Ok, thanks Daniel!

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.
I believe that as long as you are using 7.3.7 or newer (such as the current 7.5.11 version) of the Java Edition you are fine to include this as a dependency.

I will defer to more experienced people on this list on the most appropriate language to indicate this minimum version and the JE specification in your LICENSE file, and whether there are any additional actions you should take to require this minimum version.

From: Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 9:20 PM
To: Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>
Cc: <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2

Hi Daniel && Justin && all:

What should we do in this situation?

When we open sourced the project, we did a LICENSE analysis for all dependent packages, and adjusted to exclude unfriendly protocol components; for Berkeley DB JE (Java Edition), as Daniel said, the Berkeley DB JE (Java Edition) LICENSEs are Inconsistent before and after version, the version before 7.XY was the GNU AGPL v3 protocol, but it became the Apache V2 version in 7.XY, so we adopted the 7.X.Y version as our dependent component.

We are not very professional in this area, so we would like to seek the opinions of experts:

1. Can we meet the requirements of this open source agreement by restricting the version of this component to 7.X.Y?
For Berkeley DB JE (Java Edition), this component itself is TubeMQ to store metadata and switch between active and standby. It is not very deep, but it need to take some time to adjust.

2. Or have to switch to other components?
If so, for this release,  do I restore the "WIP" label to complete the version release first?
Then adjust the implementation plan later, and finally remove this component in the final version.

Thanks!!

Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com> 于2021年2月11日周四 下午12:49写道:

I believe there may be some confusion between Berkeley DB which is indeed GNU AGPL v3, and Berkeley DB JE (Java Edition) which was previously GNU AGPL v3 but switched to Apache License 2.0 with the 7.3.7 release.

Current Berkeley DB JE license is at [3]

3. https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-jeoslicense.html

On 2/10/21, 8:25 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    > We should have discussed this issue [1], and in August 2020, I sent an
    > email to berkeleydb-info_us@oracle.com in accordance with the requirements
    > of [2] to clarify my question, but it not responded to me. And the LICENSE
    > of we choosed 7.3.7 berkeleydb,  is licensed under Apache V2 license.

    My concern is that is not under the Apache license. The link here (which you provided) is that it is OS only is it is not for commercial use [1]. Also [1] points to [2] which states it’s GPL which is not compatible with the Apache V2 license.

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel && Justin && all:

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Hi @Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>  and all:

Regarding the LICENSE issue of berkeleydb binary package:

In this case, can we choose to use it in accordance with the Apache V2
protocol?

We should have discussed this issue [1], and in August 2020, I sent an
email to berkeleydb-info_us@oracle.com in accordance with the requirements
of [2] to clarify my question, but it not responded to me. And the LICENSE
of we choosed 7.3.7 berkeleydb,  is licensed under Apache V2 license.

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r5166446dcabcba0ff9db65d9aa13f4b0b60751f03dfba8f65475bc8e%40%3Cprivate.tubemq.apache.org%3E
2.

Goson zhang <go...@apache.org> 于2021年2月11日周四 上午10:55写道:

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Goson & Xiangdong

If you are going to deliver convenient binary(s), you definitely need
licenses to describe what libs you are included in.
I can see you have a LICENSE file in the binary, if this license includes
all license of your dependencies in the runtime, then it is fine.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Goson zhang <go...@apache.org> 于2021年2月11日周四 上午10:11写道:

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Hi Xiangdong:

Posted by Yuanbo Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, xiangdong

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Yuanbo Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Sorry but -1 (binding) due to not able to compile. Also the berkeleydb license issue has not been resolved and is probably category X. [4] This was mention in a previous release vote thread [4]

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signature and hashes fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE is missing license for [1] see [2]
- No unexpected binary files
- Most source file have ASF header but their is a few in [3] that have in missing.
- Can't compile from source still get issue with berkeleydb

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project tubemq-all: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.apache.tubemq:tubemq-all:pom:0.8.0-incubating: Could not find artifact org.apache.tubemq:tubemq-server:tar.gz:bin:0.8.0-incubating in berkeleydb-je (https://download.oracle.com/maven/)

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./resources/assets/public/css/style.css
2. https://github.com/Compass/compass/blob/stable/LICENSE.markdown
3. ./tubemq-web/
4. https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb/berkeleydb-licensing.html
5. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r67564b14de111180f1fed86b8ab72bb6ef4f7b84dca6a825c9ad2d8f%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E