Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> on 2011/11/30 17:23:32 UTC

Which branch for my patch?

Hi all,

A while ago I created a feature for Hadoop and submitted this to be
included (HADOOP-7076) .
Around the same time the MRv2 started happening and the entire source tree
was restructured.

At this moment I'm prepared to change the patch I created earlier so I can
submit it again for your consideration.

Caused by the email about the new branches (branch-1 and branch-1.0) I'm a
bit puzzled at this moment where to start.

I see the mentioned branches and the trunk at probable starting points.

As far as I understand the repository structure the branch-1 is the basis
for the "old style" Hadoop and the trunk is the basis for the "yarn" Hadoop.

For which branch of the source tree should I make my changes so you guys
will reevaluate it for inclusion?

Thanks.

Niels Basjes

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> I got this:
>
> Hadoop QA commented on HADOOP-7076:
> -1 overall.  Here are the results of testing the latest attachment
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12506182/HADOOP-7076-branch-0.22.patch
>  against trunk revision .
> -1 patch.  The patch command could not apply the patch.
>
> Did I do something wrong in the patch I created for branch-0.22?
> Or is HADOOP-7435 not yet operational?

HADOOP-7435 is not yet fixed, the auto qa bot only works on patches for trunk.

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
I got this:

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 00:17, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:

> Hi,

>> backporting
>> 1.x,
>> version to
>> inclusion in
>>

> Turns out my changes are not trivial to backport to branch-1 because the
> SplittableCompressionCodec interface isn't there yet.
> So I'm limiting to trunk (0.23.1) and branch-0.22 (0.22.0).

> >Unfortunately jenkins doesn't currently run tests against non-trunk
> >trees.  For these branches you need to run test-patch (covered in the
> >above page) and the tests yourself.
>
> Unfortunately the test-patch script mentioned on the site
> ("dev-support/test-patch.sh /path/to/my.patch") doesn't exist in the
> branch-0.22. And I couldn't get the test-patch.sh that does exist to work.
>
> So I did against a clean checkout:
>   patch -p0 < HADOOP-7076-branch-0.22.patch
> followed by
>   ant clean test jar
>
> Which succeeded.

> Niels Basjes

Niels Basjes

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7076
>> >
>> > Jenkins has just completed.
>> > Although it passed everything else it was '-1' because of 9 javadoc
>> > warnings that do not seem related to my patch.
>> >

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HADOOP-Build/432/artifact/trunk/hadoop-common-project/patchprocess/patchJavadocWarnings.txt
>>
>> Yea, these are not due to your patch. I'll bump the javadoc warnings
>> in test-patch.properties.
>

> Thanks.

>> > Do I simply make separate Jira (related) issues for these backports?
>>
>> Nope, just set the "target version" field to the appropriate version
>> and uploaded a patch, eg hadoop-7076-branch-1.patch.
>>

> So that I understand correctly:
> - I add the targets to the Jira issue for each branch specific patch.
> - I create a new patch file for each version I want the feature to appear
> in and attach these to the issue.
> that the committer can clearly see what it was intended for.

Yup. See the steps listed in the "Generating a patch" section of this page:

> Do I have to do something to ensure Jenkins will accept this all correctly?
> Perhaps in naming convention? Or in the timing between uploading the
> various patches?

Unfortunately jenkins doesn't currently run tests against non-trunk
trees.  For these branches you need to run test-patch (covered in the
above page) and the tests yourself.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

> > Jenkins has just completed.
> > Although it passed everything else it was '-1' because of 9 javadoc
> > warnings that do not seem related to my patch.
> >

> https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HADOOP-Build/432/artifact/trunk/hadoop-common-project/patchprocess/patchJavadocWarnings.txt
>
> Yea, these are not due to your patch. I'll bump the javadoc warnings
> in test-patch.properties.

Thanks.

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Thanks,

I'll get busy creating a new patch over the next few days.

Niels Basjes

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 18:51, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hey Niels,
>
> Thanks for contributing.  The nest place to contribute new features is
> to trunk. It's currently an easy merge from trunk to branch 23 to get
> it in a 23.x release (you can set the jira's target version to 23.1 to
> indicate this).
>
> Your patch based on the old structure would be useful for backporting
> this feature from trunk to a release with the old structure (eg 1.x,
> 0.22). To request inclusion in a 1.x release set the target version to
> 1.1.0 (and generate a patch against branch-1). To request inclusion in
> 0.22 set target version to 0.22.0 (and generate a patch against
> branch-0.22).
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A while ago I created a feature for Hadoop and submitted this to be
> > included (HADOOP-7076) .
> > Around the same time the MRv2 started happening and the entire source
> tree
> > was restructured.
> >
> > At this moment I'm prepared to change the patch I created earlier so I
> can
> > submit it again for your consideration.
> >
> > Caused by the email about the new branches (branch-1 and branch-1.0) I'm
> > bit puzzled at this moment where to start.
> >
> > I see the mentioned branches and the trunk at probable starting points.
> >
> > As far as I understand the repository structure the branch-1 is the basis
> > for the "old style" Hadoop and the trunk is the basis for the "yarn"
> Hadoop.
> >
> > For which branch of the source tree should I make my changes so you guys
> > will reevaluate it for inclusion?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes

Niels Basjes

Re: Which branch for my patch?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.