Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com> on 2002/03/13 01:16:41 UTC

Re: v2.0 + threading under FreeBSD v4.5 ...

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:10:58PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 	Anyone have Apache2 working under FreeBSD yet, and, if so ... how?
> :)

Works just fine without threads.  No one here has had the time to
sift through all of the threading issues on FreeBSD.  (Hint: try
passing --enable-threads to configure and seeing what happens to
your server with worker MPM.)  Our current thoughts (see STATUS) is
that the condition variables may be broken.

I bet part of the problems may be our own fault and others may be
because FreeBSD's threading implementation isn't (yet) very solid.
Regardless, if you *need* threading, use another OS.  -- justin

Re: v2.0 + threading under FreeBSD v4.5 ...

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:16:41PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I bet part of the problems may be our own fault and others may be
> because FreeBSD's threading implementation isn't (yet) very solid.
> Regardless, if you *need* threading, use another OS.  -- justin

My understanding of the situation is that FreeBSD's threading is
very good, unless you use SYSV semaphores which aren't intercepted
by the userland threading library and so block the whole process.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <do...@dotat.at>
TRAFALGAR: SOUTH OR SOUTHWEST, VEERING WEST 6 TO GALE 8. THUNDERY SHOWERS.