Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> on 2010/05/28 12:41:37 UTC

short alias for --force-internal-diff? (was: Re: svn commit: r949113 - in /subversion/trunk/subversion: svn/log-cmd.c svn/main.c tests/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_log_switch_stdout)

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:38:32AM -0000, stylesen@apache.org wrote:
> Author: stylesen
> Date: Fri May 28 06:38:31 2010
> New Revision: 949113

> Log:
> Introduce '--force-internal-diff' option for 'svn log' command.

Do we want to add a short alias for --force-internal-diff?
For instance, --fid if that isn't taken yet?

Short option aliases make it much easier to use the svn client
interactively, especially if you happen to frequently use an
option that is very long. A small subset of our users might end
up wanting to use --force-internal-diff often.

Stefan

Re: short alias for --force-internal-diff?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:30:40PM +0200, Stefan Küng wrote:
> I don't understand why this option is necessary for 'svn log'?
> Where does 'svn log' do a diff?

It does now, in trunk, as of a few days ago.

$ svn help log
[...]
  --show-diff              : produce diff output
                             [alias: --diff]
[...]

This option makes svn log show the committed diff beneath the log message.
It's a CLI-client only feature, there is no separate API for this.
The client simply calls svn_client_diff5() while producing log output.

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.
On 28.05.2010 15:44, Philip Martin wrote:
> Stefan Küng<to...@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Where does 'svn log' do a diff?
>
> 'svn log' recently gained a --show-diff option.

Ah, I was looking at svn_client_log5 and couldn't find anything diff
related, and there's no svn_client_log6.
But now I see that this feature is implemented in the CL, not the API
itself.

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: short alias for --force-internal-diff?

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.
On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 17:46 +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:47:23PM +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
> > The word "force" does not need to be part of the name, any more than we
> > need to write "--force-interactive" or "--force-non-recursive" or
> > "--force-revision=REV".
>
> +1
>
> > I would have thought "--diff-cmd=" would be a good UI for overriding a
> > config-file diff-cmd option.
>
> I'd prefer --internal-diff over --diff-cmd= because I believe people
> would look for a separate option rather than a special case of using
> --diff-cmd. It is also easier to document in the help output, and stands
> out better in the help output.

OK.

> > And, whatever the option is called, we will be introducing the same for
> > "svn diff", won't we?
>
> I think "svn diff" already has it.

As of yesterday, yes.

- Julian

Re: short alias for --force-internal-diff?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.
On Fri, 2010-05-28, Stefan Küng wrote:
> On 28.05.2010 14:41, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:38:32AM -0000, stylesen@apache.org wrote:
> >> Author: stylesen
> >> Date: Fri May 28 06:38:31 2010
> >> New Revision: 949113

> >> Log:
> >> Introduce '--force-internal-diff' option for 'svn log' command.
> >
> > Do we want to add a short alias for --force-internal-diff?
> > For instance, --fid if that isn't taken yet?
> >
> > Short option aliases make it much easier to use the svn client
> > interactively, especially if you happen to frequently use an
> > option that is very long. A small subset of our users might end
> > up wanting to use --force-internal-diff often.

The word "force" does not need to be part of the name, any more than we
need to write "--force-interactive" or "--force-non-recursive" or
"--force-revision=REV".

I would have thought "--diff-cmd=" would be a good UI for overriding a
config-file diff-cmd option.

And, whatever the option is called, we will be introducing the same for
"svn diff", won't we?

> I don't understand why this option is necessary for 'svn log'?
> Where does 'svn log' do a diff?

That's a recent new feature in trunk.

- Julian

Re: short alias for --force-internal-diff?

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 03:51:42PM +0530, Senthil Kumaran S wrote:
> With the above and related discussion elsewhere in this thread, I am
> planning to change the name of this option to '--internal-diff' from
> '--force-internal-diff'. Also I would like to give this option a
> short alias as '--idiff' since I do not thing '--id' will be a
> perfect short alias name and will create confusion among the users
> thinking it to be something related to identification.

+1

Re: short alias for --force-internal-diff?

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.

http://www.stylesen.org/