Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/02/28 19:06:00 UTC

Derby get-together at Java One

I suspect that a lot of Derby users and developers will be in San
Francisco for Java One this year (May 6-9,
http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/). This would be a great opportunity to
get together, connect faces with  names, and generally talk about what
we're all doing and what we want out of Derby in the future. This
doesn't have to be anything formal. We could just grab sandwiches and
meet some place. Let the community know if you're interested. Based on
how much interest there is, we can brainstorm about where to meet and when.

I'm going to post a similar message to derby-dev and direct them to this
thread so that we have a single conversation about this.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: Derby get-together at Java One

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Mike,

I agree. We should meet somewhere that doesn't require a Java One pass.

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> I suspect that a lot of Derby users and developers will be in San
>> Francisco for Java One this year (May 6-9,
>> http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/). This would be a great opportunity to
>> get together, connect faces with  names, and generally talk about what
>> we're all doing and what we want out of Derby in the future. This
>> doesn't have to be anything formal. We could just grab sandwiches and
>> meet some place. Let the community know if you're interested. Based on
>> how much interest there is, we can brainstorm about where to meet and
>> when.
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I am going to be in San Francisco for JavaOne,
> so you can count me in. I'll leave it to you locals to decide what's the
> best place to meet. With proper coordinates and a sufficiently good map
> I think I'll be able to find you.

Hello Rick,

I'm going to JavaOne too, and Knut Anders' reply says it all for me as
well :)

--
Kristian

Re: Derby get-together at Java One

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Øystein Grøvlen <Oy...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> A number of Derby people  have expressed interest in getting together
> the week of Java One. I'm thinking that people may be busy attending
> sessions during Java One itself, so it might be better to meet the first
> day before the Java One sessions start. That would be the Community One
> day (Monday, May 5). However, that may be an awkward day for some people
> for other reasons.
>
> I'm leaning toward Monday May 5. I'm also leaning toward a
> bring-your-own-lunch format as we've done before with Derby developer
> get-togethers. Let me know if lunchtime (say 11:30 onward) that day
> sounds good to you.

Thanks, for organizing this, Rick.  I plan to be there.

--
Øystein

Re: Derby get-together at Java One

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>>> Hi Rick,
>>>
>>> I think that'll work fine for me.
>>>
>> I plan on taking advantage of the free Community One offer (no money
>> in my budget to go to javaone), so depending on the offerings lunch
>> may not work for me.  Community One day is free and at least last year
>> they offered free beer (even had achor steam on tap) for an hour and
>> 1/2 after work sometime, would anyone like to meet up then - and maybe
>> head to a different location from there?  It looks like the reception is
>> 6-7:30pm.
>>
>> You do have to sign up.   The link is easily findable, I would post it
>> but I don't know the rules on advertising on the list.  I am not an
>> employee of Sun. I did find the event useful especially given the
>> price - free.  I probably would not travel to go to it, but since I am
>> in the
>> neighborhood.
> Not conflicting with Community One sessions sounds good, as does meeting
> after 6:00 pm for free beer. I didn't attend the reception last year. Do
> you have any advice about how we would raft together at the reception?
> Does anyone have a Derby sign that we could wave around?

Last year they just held it in the area outside where the javaone vendor
pavillion is, down the escallator where they usually have a bunch of
bean bag seeting and the wall of video.  And people hung out and talked
in that area, it wasn't so
big or crowed that you would not see a sign if you walked around a bit.
But of course I have no idea what they will do this year.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:
>>
>>> A number of Derby people  have expressed interest in getting together
>>> the week of Java One. I'm thinking that people may be busy attending
>>> sessions during Java One itself, so it might be better to meet the
>>> first day before the Java One sessions start. That would be the
>>> Community One day (Monday, May 5). However, that may be an awkward day
>>> for some people for other reasons.
>>>
>>> I'm leaning toward Monday May 5. I'm also leaning toward a
>>> bring-your-own-lunch format as we've done before with Derby developer
>>> get-togethers. Let me know if lunchtime (say 11:30 onward) that day
>>> sounds good to you.
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I think that'll work fine for me.
>>
> I plan on taking advantage of the free Community One offer (no money
> in my budget to go to javaone), so depending on the offerings lunch
> may not work for me.  Community One day is free and at least last year
> they offered free beer (even had achor steam on tap) for an hour and
> 1/2 after work sometime, would anyone like to meet up then - and maybe
> head to a different location from there?  It looks like the reception is
> 6-7:30pm.
>
> You do have to sign up.   The link is easily findable, I would post it
> but I don't know the rules on advertising on the list.  I am not an
> employee of Sun. I did find the event useful especially given the
> price - free.  I probably would not travel to go to it, but since I am
> in the
> neighborhood.
This still sounds like the best plan to me. Let's meet at the Community
One reception next Monday, May 5. We can hang out at the reception from
6:00 - 7:30. If people are interested, we can grab supper and/or more
brews in the neighborhood afterwards.

Cheers,

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
This sounds great, Rick. FYI, there is also the CommunityOne event (May 5) a
day before JavaOne...I'll be giving a talk there about Derby. I believe
ComunityOne registration is free if some of you are going to be around at
that time:
http://developers.sun.com/events/communityone/

Plenty of places to meet around Moscone Center too.

Cheers