Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Raihan Ahmed <ru...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/29 06:00:28 UTC

Questions regarding Axis1.4

Hello,
I am sorry to email in this manner.  But I have run into an issue that I just can't figure out.  I have searched the Internet without any luck.
I have a web service running under Axis1.4.  One of the methods returns an array of string to the client.  Each string in the array is actually an XML document with data from database tables.  And each of these XML documents has a node that has image data in Base64 string.
Now the problem is this -
Without the Base64, it works fine.  But soon I add the base64 data in the node, I get the SoapException on the server side.  If I copy the base64 string and hard-code it in the response, it works.  But when the base64 is generated, it does not work.
I can't figure out the reason - base64 is simple ascii characters.  Why can't I put a string like that in the response?
I am desperate.  Please help!  If I am in the wrong place, please point to the right people so that I can get an answer.
Best Regards!
Raihan U. Ahmed

Re: Questions regarding Axis1.4

Posted by WJ Krpelan <kr...@yahoo.com>.
ok,

The errors you are getting are caused by the client java app trying to deserialize the soap/xml-response and getting something unexpected
I.E. the SERVER is sending some response the CLIENT cant make sense of.
Notice the various instances of "response" within these error-messages.

the next step would be to have a look at the actual SOAP-XML-Response on the wire, which could be done e.g. by using the microsoft-tool fiddler or some soap-monitor like tcpmon which is being shipped with AXIS 1.4

My guess at this moment would be the Webservice-Implementation on the SERVER side doesnt do what you would expect. Is the server built on AXIS 1.4? What does the WSDL-document look like?

I dont think the responsibility lies with the code you sent me,
maybe with the code which reassembles the image out of the base64-data (improbable)

HTH
Wolfgang

Posted by Raihan Ahmed <ru...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
Yes, this document causes the error.  But dumping it into a string, you might not be able to reproduce the error since the image data won't be base64 string dynamically generated from inside the code.  But please try for me!

Also, if you can't reproduce the error, could you write a small WS to send a small xml document where one node will have base64 data generated by reading an image file to see if you can reproduce error?  I know I am asking too much!  But I need your expertise/knowledge badly to shed some lights on this issue.
I have attached the code to generate base64 from an image file to save you time in case you decide to try the second approach.

And here is the error we are getting -
ERROR:
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Posted by WJ Krpelan <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Ahmed,

Posted by Raihan Ahmed <ru...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Wolfgang,

Posted by Raihan Ahmed <ru...@yahoo.com>.
I apologize!  In my last email with the attachment, I forgot to name the node that contains the base64 data.  Even though I know you will figure it out just by looking at it, I am giving you the name of the node anyway -
"BinaryObject.Base64".

Thanks!
Raihan

Posted by WJ Krpelan <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Ahmed,

Posted by Raihan Ahmed <ru...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Wolfgang,
Thanks a bunch for your email.  I know it is very unusual having xml document inside xml document.  It was one of the requirement of the client that the output has to be in xml document.  It has data from multiple different sources and uses Justice xml for law enforcement agencies as its standard.  So far we have not run into any issues (as long as we didn't use base64 data) with this even though it seems weird considering that SOAP response itself is an xml document.  Can you think of any other way we could do this?
As far as the hard-coded base64 string goes, this is what is happening -
after a client request, I query database with input data, and parse the query result and put them in the xml document.  During this process, I have to check if the record has an image associated with it.  If it does, then I get the image file, convert it into base64 and stick that base64 string into the image tag.  And it fails.
I also print this xml document out for debugging purposes.  From this output, if I copy and paste the base64 string into the image tag (that is I am sending a hard-coded output), then it works.  That is, my output sent to client always has the same image data.
I am not sure if I was able to explain this at all.  Please let me know if you need any more info to help me out with this problem.
Thanks again!
Raihan

Posted by WJ Krpelan <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi