Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ksitron <ks...@elp.rr.com> on 2004/06/06 01:39:02 UTC

clearing an ActionForm from session

I have an action form whose data is needed across several JSP's, for
this reason I set the scope to session for this ActionForm in my
struts-config.xml.
When the transaction is completed I want the form to go away.  What is
the best practice for this.

Thanks in advance.

Re: clearing an ActionForm from session

Posted by ksitron <ks...@elp.rr.com>.
Thanks Riyad. The problem with having the form hang around is. There
could potentially be a very large number of
sessions (users) , all with a form to hang on to. So,  the memory
consumption could end up causing problems.

Riyad Kalla wrote:

> You can forcibly remove it as the last step in your last action before
> sending the user to a success page:
> request.getSession().setAttribute("formName", null);
>
> where "formName" is the same name you gave the bean in your
> struts-config.xml file in the "form-beans" section of the file. There
> is no automatic way I know of that you can tell Struts to destroy an
> object on purpose.
>
> If you just want to reset the form, and not null it out, make your
> last line instead of the setAttribute, make it:
> form.reset();
>
> this way the form is still cached for use, but values are empty.
>
> ksitron wrote:
>

>> I have an action form whose data is needed across several JSP's, for
>> this reason I set the scope to session for this ActionForm in my
>> struts-config.xml.
>> When the transaction is completed I want the form to go away.  What
>> is the best practice for this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Kevin J Citron
Sr. Object Imagineer