Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/01/04 14:13:49 UTC

Re: Redback configuration issues and properties

Hello,

2011/12/27 Wilfried van Asten <wa...@iapc.utwente.nl>:
> Hello Archiva Developers,
>
> I have set up an Archiva instance on CentOS 6 with Tomcat 6.0.24. Now
> I want to set up authentication through ldap. I am aware of the
> instructions on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARCHIVA/HOWTO+configure+usermanagement+with+LDAP
> and am following these instructions, but I am wondering why these
> files are in such an unfortunate location. I would rather have this in
> a more instance specific location. The reason is this: Tomcat deploys
> the archiva web application into the /var/cache/tomcat6/work
> directory. So to edit the application.xml file I would have to edit it
> in that location. This location should in my opinion be considered
> temporary. If for instance I update the Archiva war file this file
> would be overriden and I would have to change it again. On the other
> hand changes to Archiva might affect this file and not overwriting it
> with the new version could break Archiva.
>
> It seems to me that at this moment "Redback configuration" is
> something different from "Archiva configuration" and these systems
> should be brought closer together. At the very least "Redback
> configuration" should be moved out of the war file.
>
> In an unrelated matter the choice of user.home as the location for the
> Archiva configuration file and ${appserver.base}/data for repositories

You are able to have archiva.xml in ${appserver.base}/conf/ .
That should work.

> caused some problems with the CentOS tomcat user not having a writable
> home and the tomcat base not being writable. I would like to be able
> to control the repositories location through a different property
> rather than appserver.base which is fine if the distribution is
> standalone, but more problematic in this case. I was okay with the
> logs located in the same location as the tomcat log file but the
> repositories are an entirely different matter. It seems to me that
> when using the war file in an application server these things are
> better controlled through context parameters. Even for the standalone
> version with jetty this would work and is in my opinion appropriate.
>
> Well these were my first experiences with/opinions on setting up
> Archiva and although I do not know enough about Redback or Archiva to
> be able to say if the things I suggested are possible I do hope you
> will take them into consideration,
I cannot agree more on that.
Some ui mechanism to configure will be better.
We only need some time to do it or help :-) .

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com