Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2006/04/21 14:52:16 UTC

RE: Contributing Code

Be careful when putting code from an outside source into the ASF code base.
You might want to check with the incubator folks (I cc'ed them on this
message) about this.  I would think that any code that is "donated" would
need to have the appropriate accompanying forms filled out, even if it is
just donated to an existing project.

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind.
I have to fill out these forms too, so i will comment what has been
written be will too seperate the code again, if necessary.

Chris
James Carman wrote:
> Be careful when putting code from an outside source into the ASF code base.
> You might want to check with the incubator folks (I cc'ed them on this
> message) about this.  I would think that any code that is "donated" would
> need to have the appropriate accompanying forms filled out, even if it is
> just donated to an existing project.

- --

Re: Contributing Code

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: Contributing Code

Posted by will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com>.
I think the appropriate processes for getting contributed code are the
ones outlined:
    http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Using some of the forms linked to from:
    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants

This process is predicated on there being a community for the code to go
to.  For the ip-clearance section, I need to get a member to manage the
contribution.  I thought this contribution made sense to go into
commons.  Do folks agree?

If so, I'll be more than happy to go through the ip-clearance process,
but I need a member to volunteer for managing the donation, and a place
for it to go.

I thought it made sense to go into compress, but I think that depends on
how close compress is to releasing.  As I mentioned before, this code
has a number of things to finish before it's ready for primetime.  I
would estimate that I could get this ready in about a month.  If this is
too risky for compress, I would offer that we could start a new branch
for the next version.

Does this make sense?
    --Will