Posted to users@maven.apache.org by bkbonner <br...@paraware.com> on 2007/10/17 22:36:59 UTC

Re: Prompt user for variable?

Maven guys, I think this is a valid request.  I'm using maven on one project
to make it easier for non-developers to run builds.  I'd like to have it
prompt for environment variables, too.

I'd like to make a maven-prompt-plugin that will take the configuration and
prompt the user for variable values.

This seems like it might be useful for things like confirming actions, etc.

You could configure it inside a profile.  What does everyone else think of
this idea?

I'd like to also know what the ramifications would be on the m2eclipse
plugin.

Thoughts?

Re: Prompt user for variable?

Posted by bkbonner <br...@paraware.com>.
Yes, we use the properties plugin.  And right now they're in clear text on
the people's machines.  The prompt plugin can ask the user to confirm what
they are about to do in the case of activating a profile that would
potentially be harmful if accidentally entered (i.e. navigating through
command history and accidentally pressing enter).

Re: Prompt user for variable?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Passwords are stored in clear-text in settings.xml stored in the
users's home directory ~/.m2/settings.xml. File system security should
keep most people out of that file. I personally don't have a problem
with storing passwords in this file, and assuming you're using a
reasonable OS with file system security and password-locking
screensaver etc, this makes most security people happy.

You can also use SSH and SCP etc instead which some people prefer, but
that requires a little more set up. I believe this is documented on
the Maven site or Wiki, and if not, we've talked about it here on the
Users list.

Wayne

Re: Prompt user for variable?

Posted by Harlan Iverson <h....@gmail.com>.
I'm no Maven expert, but in the case of passwords, I can see some merit to
this desire. What is the accepted way of storing passwords for builds,
anyway?

In any other case (responding to bkbonner), wouldn't something like
maven-properties-plugin do the same job, and reduce chances of human error?
Aside from passwords, I can't think of an example that human input can do
and property file input can't.

Harlan

On 10/17/07, bkbonner <br...@paraware.com> wrote:

> Maven guys, I think this is a valid request.  I'm using maven on one
> project
> to make it easier for non-developers to run builds.  I'd like to have it
> prompt for environment variables, too.
>
> I'd like to make a maven-prompt-plugin that will take the configuration
> and
> prompt the user for variable values.
>
> This seems like it might be useful for things like confirming actions,
> etc.
>
> You could configure it inside a profile.  What does everyone else think of
> this idea?
>
> I'd like to also know what the ramifications would be on the m2eclipse
> plugin.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> Nunn, Gerald wrote:
> >
> > Simple question, is there anyway to get Maven to prompt the user to
> input
> > a variable? The scenario is that I have a proxy server that requires a
> > username and password, I do not want to store the password on the file
> > system and would like to have Maven prompt for it whenever mvn is run
> and
> > the ${password} variable is needed. The inputing of the password should
> be
> > masked as well. I was thinking of creating a plugin to do this but what
> > was wondering if there is something available for this already.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gerald

Harlan Iverson
http://blog.devspan.com