Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@arsmachina.com.br> on 2014/05/09 14:57:27 UTC

JCache (JSR 107) support for Tapestry IoC

Hi!

I've got Tapestry-IoC support for JCache annotations in T-IoC already
implemented, but not in the Tapestry repositories yet. It's got only two
small dependencies (the API itself [1] and a JAR with some common
annotations support classes [2]) besides Tapestry-IoC itself.

Do you guys think this should be included in Tapestry-IoC itself or in a
separate project and JAR? It's a balance between out-of-the-boxness and
conciseness, bloat-avoindingness.

[1]
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cjavax.cache%7Ccache-api%7C1.0.0%7Cjar
[2]
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.jsr107.ri%7Ccache-annotations-ri-common%7C1.0.0%7Cjar

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: JCache (JSR 107) support for Tapestry IoC

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
Hi Thiago,

Am 12.05.2014 14:53, schrieb Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo:
> Hi, Jochen! By the way, your first weeks as a Tapestry committer have
> been awesome! Thank you very much for that! ;)

Thank you! :-) I had a great time working on some of the remaining JIRA
bug type issues for 5.4. I'll still concentrate on those for a couple of
weeks I guess. I sill need some second opinion on some of them. Maybe we
should find a procedure for cases like that, like adding a
needs-second-opinion tag in JIRA? But, well, I guess, that's a topic for
another thread.

>> I assume it's an implementation of JSR-107 based upon tapestry-ioc.
>
> That's not the case. It's just the suppport in Tapestry-IoC for JSR 107
> annotations (@CacheResult, etc) in Tapestry-IoC services. [...]

Oh, right, then it's rather like the support for @javax.inject.Inject in
addition to @org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.annotations.Inject. Given that
this is already in tapestry-ioc, I'd say that we should also add JSR-107
support there.

Jochen

Re: JCache (JSR 107) support for Tapestry IoC

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 12 May 2014 06:07:41 -0300, Jochen Kemnade
<jo...@eddyson.de> wrote:

> Hi Thiago,

Hi, Jochen! By the way, your first weeks as a Tapestry committer have been
awesome! Thank you very much for that! ;)

> first of all, I must admit that I'm not really familiar with JCache and
> I'm not sure what it is that you have implemented. I assume it's an
> implementation of JSR-107 based upon tapestry-ioc.

That's not the case. It's just the suppport in Tapestry-IoC for JSR 107
annotations (@CacheResult, etc) in Tapestry-IoC services. You'll still
need to include one of the JSR 107 implementations in the classpath. The
JSR 107 implementation itself won't be implemented by Tapestry-IoC at all.
We'll leave that for Terracotta, EHCache, the open-source reference
implementation, etc. :)

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
Hi Thiago,

first of all, I must admit that I'm not really familiar with JCache and
I'm not sure what it is that you have implemented. I assume it's an
implementation of JSR-107 based upon tapestry-ioc.
If that is the case, I'd like to know how much of the actual caching
functionality depends on tapestry-ioc. Maybe, we can create a separate
module for the JSR implementation that does not depend on tapestry-ioc
and depend on that *from* tapestry-ioc instead? This way, the caching
module could be used independently.
Or am I completely on the wrong track here?

Jochen