Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/12 03:19:53 UTC

[build-plugin] Re-engineering/release streamlining

Hello all,

I was wondering if we might think about a 2.X line in the [build-plugin] to better facilitate our release mechanics so that we don’t have to jump through all of these hoops that we do when building a release candidate?

Steps:
1. Move the commons-build-plugin to git.
2. Fully rewrite it so that it retains its site/github templating, but adds functionality to perform our releases in git (maybe withholding svn on purpose to incentivize moving repositories to git).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [build-plugin] Re-engineering/release streamlining

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On Nov 12, 2017, at 5:25 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 12 November 2017 at 04:26, Matt Benson <mb...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> +1

>> on

>>> I agree, it's a pain. I wonder if we should step back first and see if we
>>> can simplify our release requirements. For example, I find it a huge pain
>>> that we have to release to both Nexus and the dist folder. I wonder if we
>>> could get away with putting ALL we need in Nexus. After it's all on Apache
>>> infra...
>>>

>> I'm going to go out on a limb and say this won't fly.
>
> It cannot fly.
>
> Apache releases must use dist, and Maven releases must use Nexus.

I’m indifferent with storage locations, but I figure we might as well get as much of the process into the [build-plugin] so that it’s scripted as Matt says. So I’ll start down that path unless there is considerable dissent. If I don’t hear anything by mid week, I’ll try to start moving the [build-plugin] into git.

Any thoughts on whether or not we try to go 2.X with it, particularly because I would be upversioning a lot of dependencies to write the scripting in java? Maybe it’s not necessary though.

-Rob

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chas Honton <ch...@honton.org>.
Take a look at how the maven team votes and publishes

Chas

Posted by Matt Benson <mb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.