Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Luis <lm...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/08/14 17:42:56 UTC

CS VLAN configuration in a Cisco 3560 switch

Hi
I have a question, following the manual for an advance networking I am trying to configure VLAN's in a Cisco 3560 but i am cofuse, is this all I need
Can somebody post a complete example base on their experience?
Thank you.

This is what I have
untagged  VLAN 65 for public traffice
tagged VLAN traffic for ranges 600-1000

for tagged trafficeinterface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 100-900
exit

Re: CS VLAN configuration in a Cisco 3560 switch

Posted by da...@zv.fraunhofer.de.
Hi Luis,

just to extend a little more:

basically the configuration posted by Simon should work. Some more explanations. There are some important considerations:

- All VLANs you want to use need to exist on the switch. That’s why they need to be created using the vlan 100-200 statement
- The “switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-200” configuration is not strictly necessary, but you should configure it. If you omit it, all existent VLANs will be allowed on the trunk. This configuration hence acts as a filter, basically. -
- The native VLAN will not get tagged (and for obvious reasons, there can only be one such VLAN). As it is not tagged, you do not need to put it in the allowed VLAN list

From my findings so far, I would also recommend to use the management VLAN as untagged VLAN and give CloudStack the VLAN ID of your public interface. It will use the VLAN automatically, and it will tag the traffic automatically.

One more note about adding/removing VLANs to the allowed list:

If you configured

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-200

before and want to add one more VLAN, please remember to use the “add” keyword:

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 65

If you omit the “add” keyword, all other VLANs configured so far will be removed from the list instead.

If you run spanning tree, you might also want to configure “spanning-tree portfast trunk” on the port to avoid spanning-tree to go through its usual listening/learning states.

Regards
Daniel

--
Daniel Herrmann
Network Architect – Fraunhofer Private Cloud

Fraunhoferstraße 5, 64283 Darmstadt
Tel.: +49 6151 155346
Mail: daniel.herrmann@zv.fraunhofer.de

Am 14.08.17, 20:02 schrieb "Simon Weller" <sw...@ena.com.INVALID>:

    Luis,

    So Cisco don't use tagged/untagged. You build the vlan (or vlan range) and then apply it to a trunk interface.

    The 'native' keyword in the interface 'switchport trunk native'  stanza sets the default untagged vlan for that particular port.

    Try something like this:

    vlan 65
     name public
    vlan 100-200
     name my-guest-vlans
    exit

    interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk native vlan 65
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-200
    exit

    Now be really careful with the number of vlans you allocate if you're running spanning tree, as spanning-tree will start to have problems with large numbers of vlans.

    With Cloudstack in advanced mode, we find that running the management network as native is often a better design. You can then allocate a vlan for public and just tell CloudStack what the vlan is and it will use it. You can then just include that vlan in your vlan allowed statement: switchport trunk allowed vlan 65,100-200

    - Si