Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Tschannen <mi...@zhaw.ch> on 2008/10/02 11:40:42 UTC

Re: Enhanced SMTPSampler

> On 01/10/2008, Tschannen Michael (tsmi) <mi...@zhaw.ch> wrote:
>> Sebastian
>>
>>  Thanks for your reply, delay doesn't matter!
>>
>>  For definitive clearance, I have two additional questions:
>>  > > InstallTrustStore and UseLocalTrustStore involves setting System
>>  > > properties - that is not a good idea for JMeter samplers, as the
>>  > > properties will affect all threads.
>>  > >
>>  > > Likewise, the setTrustAllCerts() method updates the JVM Security
>>  > > settings, which will affect other samplers.
>>  Is there some JMeter-code that already does that without changing system
>>  properties (e.g. HTTPS handler)? I thought JMeter's SSL manager also
>>  changes java system properties - am I wrong?
>
> Yes, it does, but they apply to every thread, regardless of the
> sampler settings.
>
> It's not possible to use System properties to implement per-sampler
> options, as properties are global.
>
> But given that the HTTPS samplers accept all server certificates
> regardless, we should probably do the same for the SMTP (and
> POP3S/IMAPS) samplers. That is, the setting is not optional for HTTPS,
> so should not be optional for the mail samplers either.
agree! we will try to change this.

>>  > > At least one of the files appears to have Sun Copyright; AFAIK, that
>>  > > cannot be used.
>>  Correct, InstallCert has sun copyright. I neither don't know if this can
>>  be used within JMeter (perhaps anyone else does?) - anyway this class is
>>  used for StartTLS (for which "Trust all certificates" doesn't work),
>>  perhaps it has to be re-written.
>
> Oh, I see.
>
> Would StartTLS still be useful without InstallCert?
I don't think so (at least not for all hosts, which is dangerous)...

>>  > > The copyright headers for other files created by the submitters need
>>  > > to be addressed as follows:
>>  > >
>>  > > http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>>  NP, can be done!
>>
>>  Summing up, we have the following TODO's before an integration:
>>  - paste copyright headers
>
> Not exactly - the copyright lines in headers need to be removed.
sure, sorry was a typo! we're going to do this and re-submit the files.

>>  - re-write SUN's install certificate class (if it must not be used
>>  within JMeter)
>
> That probably has to be done by someone who has not seen the code.
> Maybe there is an Apache Harmony equivalent.
agree, otherwise we would probably have an exact copy! I think it would
be reasonable if we catch up this part after having done all the
file-header-stuff...

so: we're going to remove all copyright parts and come back to the
starttls/inscallCert story, ok?

michael

Re: Enhanced SMTPSampler

Posted by Michael Tschannen <mi...@zhaw.ch>.

>>> Yes, it does, but they apply to every thread, regardless of the
>>> sampler settings.
>>>
>>> It's not possible to use System properties to implement per-sampler
>>> options, as properties are global.
>>>
>>> But given that the HTTPS samplers accept all server certificates
>>> regardless, we should probably do the same for the SMTP (and
>>> POP3S/IMAPS) samplers. That is, the setting is not optional for HTTPS,
>>> so should not be optional for the mail samplers either.
>> agree! we will try to change this.
>>> Oh, I see.
>>>
>>> Would StartTLS still be useful without InstallCert?
>> I don't think so (at least not for all hosts, which is dangerous)...
>
> Dangerous?
>
> It might limit applicability, but there would still be the work-round
> of adding the cert to the Java installation.
> Not ideal, but possible.
exactly! dangerous was probably not the right expression, but as you say
it is a bit less comfortable like that...

so we're going to return to the other stuff after having done all the
immediate changes.

thanks for your support!

michael

Re: Enhanced SMTPSampler

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
2008/10/2 Michael Tschannen <mi...@zhaw.ch>:
>> On 01/10/2008, Tschannen Michael (tsmi) <mi...@zhaw.ch> wrote:
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>>  Thanks for your reply, delay doesn't matter!
>>>
>>>  For definitive clearance, I have two additional questions:
>>>  > > InstallTrustStore and UseLocalTrustStore involves setting System
>>>  > > properties - that is not a good idea for JMeter samplers, as the
>>>  > > properties will affect all threads.
>>>  > >
>>>  > > Likewise, the setTrustAllCerts() method updates the JVM Security
>>>  > > settings, which will affect other samplers.
>>>  Is there some JMeter-code that already does that without changing system
>>>  properties (e.g. HTTPS handler)? I thought JMeter's SSL manager also
>>>  changes java system properties - am I wrong?
>>
>> Yes, it does, but they apply to every thread, regardless of the
>> sampler settings.
>>
>> It's not possible to use System properties to implement per-sampler
>> options, as properties are global.
>>
>> But given that the HTTPS samplers accept all server certificates
>> regardless, we should probably do the same for the SMTP (and
>> POP3S/IMAPS) samplers. That is, the setting is not optional for HTTPS,
>> so should not be optional for the mail samplers either.
> agree! we will try to change this.
>>
>>>  > > At least one of the files appears to have Sun Copyright; AFAIK, that
>>>  > > cannot be used.
>>>  Correct, InstallCert has sun copyright. I neither don't know if this can
>>>  be used within JMeter (perhaps anyone else does?) - anyway this class is
>>>  used for StartTLS (for which "Trust all certificates" doesn't work),
>>>  perhaps it has to be re-written.
>>
>> Oh, I see.
>>
>> Would StartTLS still be useful without InstallCert?
> I don't think so (at least not for all hosts, which is dangerous)...

Dangerous?

It might limit applicability, but there would still be the work-round
of adding the cert to the Java installation.
Not ideal, but possible.

>>>  > > The copyright headers for other files created by the submitters need
>>>  > > to be addressed as follows:
>>>  > >
>>>  > > http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>>>  NP, can be done!
>>>
>>>  Summing up, we have the following TODO's before an integration:
>>>  - paste copyright headers
>>
>> Not exactly - the copyright lines in headers need to be removed.
> sure, sorry was a typo! we're going to do this and re-submit the files.
>>
>>>  - re-write SUN's install certificate class (if it must not be used
>>>  within JMeter)
>>
>> That probably has to be done by someone who has not seen the code.
>> Maybe there is an Apache Harmony equivalent.
> agree, otherwise we would probably have an exact copy! I think it would
> be reasonable if we catch up this part after having done all the
> file-header-stuff...
>
> so: we're going to remove all copyright parts and come back to the
> starttls/inscallCert story, ok?

Yes.