Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Berwanger, Christian" <ch...@logica.com> on 2008/07/08 12:15:28 UTC

Syslog message is sent twice in the case no log4j configuration file is used

Hi log4j comunity,

I'm using the log4j appender in order to send my log message to a remote
host. I decided not to use the config file because the application
itself is already using a central config file which I want to use to
read my configurable data (like hostname, port...). However when I'm
using the log4j API without config file the message is sent twice times.

I read and tried already the hints on the tutorial sites without success
which threads several ideas for the problem of multiple same messages.

 m_logger = Logger.getLogger(SecurityEvent.class.getName());

 m_logger.setAdditivity(false);

 m_syslogAppender = new SyslogAppender();

 m_syslogAppender.activateOptions();

 m_syslogAppender.setLayout(new PatternLayout("%c: %m%n"));

 m_syslogAppender.setSyslogHost("localhost");

 m_logger.addAppender(m_syslogAppender);

 m_syslogAppender.setFacility(mapFacilityID(this.m_facility));

 sendLogMessage(logMessage);

 m_logger.removeAllAppenders();

However when I tried following configuration file instead it worked
fine.

# Set root logger level to DEBUG and its only appender to A1.

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1

# A1 is set to be a ConsoleAppender.

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender

# A1 uses PatternLayout.

log4j.appender.A1.SyslogHost=localhost

log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%c: %m%n

How can I get only ONE log message?

Thanks for all help

Christian