Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ivan Levchenko <le...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/16 20:24:51 UTC

[users@httpd] DocumentRoot

Hello all,

I just installed appache 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 6.1 by going into
/usr/ports/www/apache22/ and doing make install clean. Everything
works ok. I see my pages in the browser. By default, it loads pages
from /usr/local/www/data, but I want to change it to pub. I rename
data to pub, then in httpd.conf I edit DocumentRoot so that is shows:

DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/apache22/pub"

and then a bit further on in the file:

<Directory "/usr/local/www/apache22/pub">

I then save the file and restart apache. I get this error:
Performing sanity check on apache22 configuration:
Syntax error on line 149 of /usr/local/etc/apache22/httpd.conf:
DocumentRoot must be a directory

The had the following enabled in
/usr/local/etc/apache22/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf , even after I
commented it out, it still didn't work:

#<VirtualHost *:80>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerAlias www.dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog /var/log/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog /var/log/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost *:80>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host2.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host2.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host2.example.com
#    ErrorLog /var/log/dummy-host2.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog /var/log/dummy-host2.example.com-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>

I googled on this issue and couldn't find anything that helped.

What can i do to get it working? If I change everything back to data, it works.

WBR,

Ivan

Re: [users@httpd] DocumentRoot

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/18/06, Ivan Levchenko <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm very sorry for the mistake. (I was just tired). The paths are ok.
> I got three of my sysadmin friends helping me on this, but all of them
> said that they don't know why its not working.  i am using the latest
> ports.
>
> Where can I look to find the reason of this?

Start "httpd -X" under strace and see exactly what syscall is failing.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] DocumentRoot

Posted by Ivan Levchenko <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:24:51PM +0300, Ivan Levchenko wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just installed appache 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 6.1 by going into
> /usr/ports/www/apache22/ and doing make install clean. Everything
> works ok. I see my pages in the browser. By default, it loads pages
> from /usr/local/www/data, but I want to change it to pub. I rename
> data to pub,

So it is /usr/local/www/pub now?