Posted to general@xml.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/11/15 22:39:31 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 1.4.4 released

Hi all,

The Xerces-J team is pleased to announce the release of Xerces-J 1.4.4.
Since Xerces2 is not yet production-grade, and since we haven't put out a
bugfix release of Xerces1 in over two months, we thought it was time to put
out such a release.  This release includes:

- JAXP fixes. [Edwin Goie]
- Parser now resolves the locations of schemas referenced by other schemas
relative to the schema doing  the referencing rather than to the instance
document. [Gopal Sharma/Neil Graham]
- Changed HTML serializer so that, at user option, attributes with no value
may be represented as attr=""
     instead of simply as attr. The default behaviour has not changed.
[Sandor Szago
     (sszago@saba.com)/Neil Graham]
- Fixed parser behavior: by default Xerces now exposes element and
attribute values as defined by the
     Infoset. [Tamura Kent, Elena Litani]
- By default bind "xml" prefix to "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
per Namespace Constraint: Prefix   Declared (Namespaces in XML REC) [Elena
Litani]
- Fixed date/time datatype bugs. [Henry Zongaro]
- Fixed several DOM Level 2 conformance bugs. [Elena Litani]
- General bug fixes [Elena Litani, Pavani Mukthipudi, Sandy Gao]

There is a strong consensus in the Xerces-J community that the future of
the project lies in the Xerces2 codebase; no plans to produce another
release of Xerces1 are known.  We strongly encourage users to begin
migrating to Xerces2, a stable version of which we expect to have available
before the end of the year.  While we still welcome bug reports (and
especially patches!) for Xerces1, we aren't aware of any developers who
plan to devote significant time to this codebase.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development