Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by jiangshachina <ji...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/18 02:39:52 UTC

Why do class names start with lower lowercase?

Hi guys,
This may a stupid question :-D

According to Java coding convention, class name would start with uppercase,
but several class names of Derby start with lowercase, e.g. ij, dblook,
sysinfo.

Certainly, that isn't an issue, I just be curious of the matter.
Thanks!

a cup of Java, cheers!
Sha Jiang

Re: Why do class names start with lower lowercase?

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
jiangshachina <ji...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
> This may a stupid question :-D
>
> According to Java coding convention, class name would start with uppercase,
> but several class names of Derby start with lowercase, e.g. ij, dblook,
> sysinfo.

Just guessing here; maybe because these three are classes for tools
typically invoked on commandline, e.g.

          java org.apache.derby.tools.ij

so for convenience they are in lower case? Mostly in the Derby
codeline the convention is followed, though.

Dag

Re: Why do class names start with lower lowercase?

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Sha Jiang,

These are utility programs for which the natural name is lower case.
For each class, there is a corresponding command, and rather than try
to map dblook to a class DBLook or Dblook, the natural thing is to
simply have the class name the same as the command name.

Craig

On Sep 17, 2007, at 5:39 PM, jiangshachina wrote:

> Hi guys,
> This may a stupid question :-D
>
> According to Java coding convention, class name would start with
> uppercase,
> but several class names of Derby start with lowercase, e.g. ij,
> dblook,
> sysinfo.
>
> Certainly, that isn't an issue, I just be curious of the matter.
> Thanks!
>
> a cup of Java, cheers!
> Sha Jiang

Craig Russell