Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> on 2021/04/20 22:20:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Migrate guacamole-manual away from DocBook?

I've been thinking recently that the current guacamole-manual is not very
approachable with respect to contributions, and that members of the
community that might want to contribute to the manual may be turned off by
the complexity/unfamiliarity of DocBook and XML. It'd be nice if improving
the manual were as simple as editing a text document.

Thoughts? Asciidoc seems a common alternative that is compatible with
DocBook.

- Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate guacamole-manual away from DocBook?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 8:19 PM carl harris <ce...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing to note about RST tables — there are two ways to do table
> markup, and pandoc has selected the one that is most painful to maintain,
> but looks most attractive in plaintext form. The “simple table” markup is
> less attractive in plaintext form, but is definitely much less of a
> nuisance to maintain, and has fewer options for exotic nesting/merging of
> cells within columns/rows.
>
> +1 on the observation that RST relies on indentation, but (at least in my
> experience) that reliance feels pretty natural and intuitive, and the
> alternatives aren’t all that appealing. Quoting the RST specification,
> "Indentation is used to indicate -- and is only significant in indicating
> -- block quotes, definitions (in definition lists), and local[ly] nested
> content”. To me, it feels acceptable (and sort of obligatory) to ident
> consistently in the plaintext source in all of these situations anyway. But
> I move pretty freely and easily between “bracey” languages like
> Java/Javascript/XML and Python, so maybe I’m not too representative of
> “typical” Guacamole contributors in that regard.

I do this to some degree, too - I dabble in Python, and use Ansible (YAML)
on a routine basis for automation, so I'm used to working between languages
like those that rely on indentation and then back to Java, JavaScript, C,
etc., that couldn't care less is you had whitespace anywhere in the code or
not. So, while it may take some getting used to, I don't think that's a
show-stopper for RST.

-Nick

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate guacamole-manual away from DocBook?

Posted by carl harris <ce...@gmail.com>.
[...]

carl

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate guacamole-manual away from DocBook?

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
I've created a quick test using pandoc to translate the entire manual into
reStructuredText and Asciidoc for comparison.

    reStructuredText:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mike-jumper/b93ef997e83d8565cf46b5bff71845b7/raw/7910262cf97247fcbb4053ed8ab33bcb40710e8d/gug.rst

    Asciidoc:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mike-jumper/b93ef997e83d8565cf46b5bff71845b7/raw/7910262cf97247fcbb4053ed8ab33bcb40710e8d/gug.adoc

reStructuredText definitely seems much more readable in text form (compare
the tables and lists within the "Optional dependencies" sections). Changing
their contents, resizing columns, etc. looks like it would be painful,
though, and the document format appears to rely heavily on indentation
(like Python).

Asciidoc seems to require a good deal of technical markup even to create a
table, and the syntax seems more obscure.

- Mike

Posted by Ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Good morning all,

Not sure I can contribute anything much on the two systems Mike's
mentioned, but I've some related comments, for what they're worth:

In general I've found the present documentation to be clearly written
and formatted well, albeit (as with all documentation) it takes a little
time to get used to the writer's intentions.

I think the presentation is much better than many other project docs
I've seen. Unless there was a compelling need or evidence to change the
presentation per se I suggest it'd be a positive if something similar to
the current output format could be retained.

 From an input perspective, this may be at complete odds with what I've
just said, but almost everyone will know how to fundamentally edit text
documents, whereas understanding and hand-editing XML etc is simply an
arse (well, to me it is!). So, not knowing anything about the
possibilities, a system that is as similar as possible to the way people
would do it using something like LibreOffice or similar should be the
most universally usable. Pretty much simple WYSIWYG.

 From the extremely brief look I've just taken at Asciidoc it's clearly

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the additional insight, Carl. Your points about Markdown and
extensions seem valid, and I'm perfectly fine with asciidoc and/or RST.

I don't know about producing a "book" for the Guacamole Manual - it seems
like it may be valuable to have some sort of "offline" representation of
it, whether that's a PDF or a Text-based document. I lean more toward just
doing text-based and web, and maybe avoiding the PDF option, but, again, no
strong preferences and I'll go with the consensus.

-Nick

Posted by carl harris <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by carl harris <ce...@gmail.com>.