Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/10 20:11:30 UTC

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Hi folks,

I've just cut a release candidate for the ActiveMQ 5.12.0 release and
it's ready for a vote. This release has 180+ bug fixes and
improvements.  A large amount of work has gone into hardening the AMQP
and MQTT protocol support along with numerous other improvements.

The list of resolved issues is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12329258

You can get binary distributions here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1062/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.12.0/

Source archives are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1062/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.12.0/

Maven2 repository is at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1062/

Source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=commit;h=a9eeb03520f074d5013239b8d8708a05ba31e176

Please vote to approve this release.  The vote will remain open for 72
hours.

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0
[ ] -1 (provide specific comments)

Here's my +1

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

I ran through a bunch of tests locally and on a deployed broker and
everything looks good to me.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

It would be nice to have AMQ-5861 in the next release.

Regards
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)

Apache Software Foundation <http://apache.org/> Member
V.P. Apache ServiceMix | Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/> Committer & PMC Member
Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC <http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/>

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:17 PM Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (at this point I'm not sure if my vote is binding or not)

To answer your question...

PMC votes are binding.  Non-PMC votes are non-binding.

http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#activemq-pmc

According to that, this list of people are who are binding should be clear.

I'll also pull in the source release and test later.  Any plans for an
Artemis release as well?

John

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 then

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

I tested AMQ 5.12.0 with the master branch of Apache Camel

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Jim Gomes <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 08/11/2015 06:45 PM, Marc Schöchlin wrote:
> +1
>
> What do i need to do to get AMQ-5378 and AMQ-5503 and in the list of resolved issues?
> Adding release "5.12.0" to "Fix Version/s:"?

Yes, that should do it.

Posted by Marc Schöchlin <ms...@256bit.org>.
+1

--
GPG encryption available: 0x670DCBEC/pool.sks-keyservers.net
(https://www.256bit.org/keys/mschoechlin.pub.asc)

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I haven't yet had an oportunity to test the artifacts, but I'll vote
once I have.

I'm not sure I see that the release is being rushed really. 5.12 has
been 'coming soon' for a reasonable while now, and folks have
mentioned that on both the lists recently. Tim and Dan both sent out a
headsup mails last month saying they were planning to work last week
on doing releases, those being 5.12 and 5.11.2 respectively. The vote
on 5.11.2 has closed today, and the vote on 5.12 opened.

If people have serious problems needing addressed then obviously thats
something that can be looked at as they are raised and a respin
performed if they are blockers, which is part of what the vote process
is used for. However for anything else I think it would be far
preferable to look to do more regular releases rather than adding yet
more to an already large release and slowing it down further.

...Tim ninja'd me and said pretty much everything I was saying..so I
was going to delete this...but as I already typed it, meh here it is..
:D

Robbie

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
** I'm not involved on this work with them **

I meant to say here that I'm not involved on managing this release..
but I am strongly against slowing down anything :)

I wish I had more time to speed up releases on both ActiveMQ and Artemis.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
I agree with more frequent releases.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Ah, looking more carefully, that is correct.  While I did only see the notice
this morning, it's been out there since July 30.  I must be mixing 5.11.2
and 5.12 stuff.

I have some outstanding improvement work on selector issues, but it needs at
least a few more days of work.  If we're comfortable to have a 5.13 release
within 1-2 months after the 5.12 release, then I won't worry about it.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 08/10/2015 03:20 PM, artnaseef wrote:
> Whao - that was fast.  I just saw the messages this morning announcing plans
> to release 5.12.0 and now it's already up for a vote?
>
> What's the rush?  Can we slow this down so folks who have things to
> contribute to a once-in-six-to-twelve-months release can find time to work
> on them?

> .

I actually sent out a heads up on July 30th about 5.12 and didn't get
any complaints about it and waited until 5.11.2 finished before starting
just for extra caution.
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/HEADSUP-ActiveMQ-5-12-0-Release-Preparation-td4700144.html

Personally I think 5.12 is overdue and want to get it out there for
folks to start testing all the new goodness that's been added.  That
said I also have no problem with more frequent releases and don't think
anyone else would either, so contribute away!

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1 (non binding)

Tested on karaf 4.0.1-SNAPSHOT.
Installing broker and webconsole works fine.
Sending and receiving mails also looks good.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.12.0

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding)

- Built from the source distribution.
- Went through a sampling of recent commits to verify no licensing issues
were brought into the code base.

John

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1