Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Refr Bruhl <re...@yahoo.com> on 2011/05/09 16:42:04 UTC

Maven, Subversion and Eclipse issue

Team

I've an issue with the m2 plugin using maven in conjunction with subversion.
Since this crosses three platforms I thought I would try both the subversion and
maven list to see if anyone has run across a similar issue and what the solution
was.

When maven dependency is enabled for an eclipse project the maven plugin will
ensure the target subdirectory exists. This is usally a good thing.

When the project is committed to subversion is when issues arise

When a mvn clean is issued either thru the plugin or at the command shell the
target directory is deleted. The eclipse maven 2 plugin will recreate the target
subdirectory

However subversion now complains the directory is out of sync. Most times the
subversion plugin will not allow a force update.

My current workaround is not to commit the entire project -- just subfolder
components when I make updates. I'm thinking there is a cleaner solution to
this.

Using this method I am forced to use svn shell commands to create tags. The tag
feature of the subversion plugin will not work unless all sub directories are
commitable.

has anyone else ran into this? If so what solutions or workarounds were found?

Platform details below

Eclipse:

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.

Version: Helios Release
Build id: 20100617-1415

(c) Copyright Eclipse contributors and others 2005, 2010.  All rights reserved.
Visit http://www.eclipse.org/webtools

Maven for Eclipse:

M2 plugin by Sonatype 0.12.1.2011

Subversion for Eclipse
Subversive byu Polarion 2.2.2

OS: Windows XP

--Refr inn gra

"Wars are to be won with swords and spears,
not with rice and salt." -- Uesugi Kenshin

Re: Maven, Subversion and Eclipse issue

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <s7...@netscape.net>.
Mon, 9 May 2011 08:07:10 -0700 (PDT), /Refr Bruhl/:
> Mon, 9 May 2011 15:56:14 +0100, /Brian Smith/:
>
>> We set the following on each module's trunk:
>>
>> $ svn ps svn:ignore core  "
>> target
>> .project
>> .classpath
>> .settings"
>
> So that is manual svn command outside of eclipse?
>
> I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

In Eclipse, from the context menu of a file/directory you could
choose Team -> Add to svn:ignore [1].  You could also setup that .*
(dot something) files/directories get ignored by default - for
Eclipse look under Preferences: Team / Ignored Resources [2], and
for the command-line client (and possibly others) see the
global-ignores in the config area [3].

[1]
http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/teamSupport/SVNaction/ignore_vc.php
[2]
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/reference/ref-20.htm
[3] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.confarea.html

--
Stanimir

Re: Maven, Subversion and Eclipse issue

Posted by Refr Bruhl <re...@yahoo.com>.
Yep

the team menu worked. Thank you for that tip. Always the simple things we
overlook...

 --Refr inn gra

"Wars are to be won with swords and spears,
not with rice and salt." -- Uesugi Kenshin

I did not catch that until you told me about it. I will experiment with that
today. Thank you!

--Refr inn gra

"Wars are to be won with swords and spears,
not with rice and salt." -- Uesugi Kenshin

You can do it in Eclipse from the Team menu.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Brian Smith <bm...@gmail.com>.

AW: Maven, Subversion and Eclipse issue

Posted by Markus Schaber <m....@3s-software.com>.
Hi, Refr,

Just a simple suggestion: As the target subdirectory seems to be created, why not removing it from subversion and adding it to svn:ignore?

Best regards

Markus Schaber

___________________________
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber@3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915

Posted by Markus Schaber <m....@3s-software.com>.
Hi, Refr,

Posted by Brian Smith <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fernando Ribeiro <we...@fernandoribeiro.eti.br>.
Definitely.

Posted by Refr Bruhl <re...@yahoo.com>.
Somethnig to investigate. Thanks for the heads up }:O)

Posted by Fernando Ribeiro <we...@fernandoribeiro.eti.br>.

Posted by Fernando Ribeiro <we...@fernandoribeiro.eti.br>.

Posted by Alex Lopez <al...@flordeutopia.pt>.