Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2001/09/05 18:08:49 UTC

Re: How have others handled management concerns over storing databaseuserid and password in struts-config.xml?

You would want to restrict what kind of access your generic Web user has
to the database. If the permissions are set right on the database, then
they can't do much they couldn't do from the Website anyway.

You should also restrict from where the Web user login can be used. It
should only be good from the Web server's IP, and anyone trying to log
in with it from another machine should be rejected. In a firewall
situation, this can be an internal IP that is not available through the
Web site.

The configuration folder should also be protected with file system
security, so only the Web server user can read them. This should be a
system-type user that can only be accessed by su, and not by public
login.

If you use a seperate connection pool, like poolman
(www.codestudio.com), you will have more flexibility as to where the
configuration file can be placed. It would need to be on the classpath,
but it could be kept well outside the Web server file structure.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/