Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/26 09:55:32 UTC

Java EE 6 Web Profile

Hi;

You guys , do you think to implement Java EE 6 Web Profile using Tomcat? Or
Tomcat is a Servlet & JSP container forever?

Thanks;

--Gurkan

Re: Java EE 6 Web Profile

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevan;

>>>As Mark mentioned, the Geronimo community is building an EE6 Web Profile
server and full EE6 profile, also. Current releases of Geronimo already
>>>provide custom assemblies which can provide lighter-weight server
runtimes (e.g. web container, only) customized to the needs of your
application(s). >>>You'd be more than welcome to work with the Geronimo
community.
Yes, this seems a more reasonable approach :)  Maybe I can create some
extension for injection JSR-299 beans into Servlets and Filters for Tomcat.

>>>Regarding a maven build, Geronimo has a tomcat-archetype which can be
used to create a Tomcat maven build environment. You might want to check it
out.
Really, I do not see it, I will check it.

Thanks;
--Gurkan

2010/3/2 Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>

> On Mar 1, 2010, at 2:11 AM, Gurkan Erdogdu wrote:
>
> > Thanks for  the answer Mark :)
> >
> > I have started to fork the Tomcat to implement a Java EE Web Profile,
> called
> > Web Enterprise Server :)
> >
> > My reasons:
> > 1* Without touching source code it is impossible to implement such a
> > product.
> > 2*  I also do not like code conventions used in Tomcat (for example ,
> > listener-observer model.). I will implement an interfaces and use
> interfaces
> > on all core modules instead of using implementation classes.
> > 3* I do no like to build it via complex ant scripts. I will create a
> maven
> > module for each of the projects. I think that each current project will
> > provide one/two modules.
>
> Gurkan,
> As Mark mentioned, the Geronimo community is building an EE6 Web Profile
> server and full EE6 profile, also. Current releases of Geronimo already
> provide custom assemblies which can provide lighter-weight server runtimes
> (e.g. web container, only) customized to the needs of your application(s).
> You'd be more than welcome to work with the Geronimo community.
>
> Regarding a maven build, Geronimo has a tomcat-archetype which can be used
> to create a Tomcat maven build environment. You might want to check it out.
>
> --kevan

Gurkan Erdogdu
http://gurkanerdogdu.blogspot.com

Re: Java EE 6 Web Profile

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 1, 2010, at 2:11 AM, Gurkan Erdogdu wrote:

> Thanks for  the answer Mark :)
>
> I have started to fork the Tomcat to implement a Java EE Web Profile, called
> Web Enterprise Server :)
>
> My reasons:
> 1* Without touching source code it is impossible to implement such a
> product.
> 2*  I also do not like code conventions used in Tomcat (for example ,
> listener-observer model.). I will implement an interfaces and use interfaces
> on all core modules instead of using implementation classes.
> 3* I do no like to build it via complex ant scripts. I will create a maven
> module for each of the projects. I think that each current project will
> provide one/two modules.

Gurkan,

Re: Java EE 6 Web Profile

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.