Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan <qg...@qgenuity.com> on 2003/11/16 01:09:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem: Apache "pauses" before sending php pages

Heres the problem:

I have a very low end machine running apache with php and mysql. The php pages
are generated in 2-3 seconds, but the browser does not see the results for
15-20. Retrieving files while watching 'top' tells me that apache and mysql
use cpu time during the first 2-3 seconds of the process, that nothing
appears to happen for 10-12 seconds and that the page is transferred after
that time. The hard drive light does not come on during those 10-12 seconds.

There is no "delay" when rendering static pages or cgi script results.

Heres how I assume that it works:

1 - apache receives GET request
2 - apache determines that the request references PHP
3 - apache sends the request to the PHP module
4 - PHP module completes request
5 - PHP module sends result to apache
6 - apache sends result to browser

I think that the problem is somewhere between 4 and 6, thought I don't know
whether the problem is on the apache side or the PHP side. Does anyone know
how to get logs that display apache's interactions with the PHP module (or
PHP's interactions with apache)?

I am using apache 2.0.47 and php 4.3.3.

Has anyone had this experience before? Know what to do about it?

thanks,
Jonathan

Re: [users@httpd] Problem: Apache "pauses" before sending php pages

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Jonathan wrote:
> I am using apache 2.0.47 and php 4.3.3.

Upgrade to latest Apache and PHP: 2.0.48 and 4.3.4, respectively. Come back
if the problem persists.

Regards,
Robert Andersson