Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by "Andre P." <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/12 12:07:55 UTC

WSIF or ESB ?

Hello everyone.

Will ESB (or have it already) embody the WSIF functionalities?

Why should I use WSIF instead of an ESB (or vice-versa)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: [xgws-user] WSIF or ESB ?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Check the JIRA, we have incoming support for Axis2 :)

-- dims

Re: [xgws-user] WSIF or ESB ?

Posted by "Farrukh S. Najmi" <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.
Gregory Prokter wrote:
> Let me add my thoughts to the discussion as I have come across the
> same question.  First, there is cost.  Commercial ESB is very
> expensive, whereas WSIF is free.  But most IT organizations I know,
> have already purchased ESB, so it's a mute point.

Just wanted to mention that there are several open source ESB solutions
emerging. here are some examples:

Open ESB: <https://open-esb.dev.java.net/>
Mule: <http://mule.mulesource.org/wiki/display/MULE/Home>

> Second, ESB as pointed out below is so much more functionality
> (repository, client access over any protocol, monitoring, security,
>  asynchronous call outs to other services in the pipe, etc.) than WSIF
> that it is indeed as Alek pointed out like comparing Apples to Oranges.
>
> So, if you have a small nail (client access to a service independent
> of protocol) of course bringing a HUGE hammer like ESB will do the
> job.  But then, be careful with your fingers!

Good point. My experience is that projects often start out needing small
nails and timber but then grow to need bigger timber, nails, hammer and
power tools. Even the pros need to be careful with such power tools :-)
Farrukh

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com

RE: [xgws-user] WSIF or ESB ?

Re: [xgws-user] WSIF or ESB ?