Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/30 20:01:30 UTC

2.x and tika-core dependencies

Hi, folks.

I'm currently refactoring 2.x branch to unify logging there [1].

Did we relaxed our policy about deps in tika-core? As I see there are
commons-io and commons-codec in its deps.
I do remember discussions about commons-io but not about commons-codec.

What about adding org.slf4j:slf4j-api also? It's not a big dependency and
simplifies logging configuration for user.
JUL has no way to bridge to SLF4J automatically I'm aware of. Without
additional downstream code, I mean.

To forward JUL to SLF4J you have to add jul-to-slf4j as dependecy *and*
invoke static method in SLF4JBridgeHandler to register it.
It forces downstream user to write additional code to make logging work as
intended.

Almost everyone use some dependency management tool
(Maven/Ant+Ivy/Gradle/SBT/whatever) in their projects,
so it shouldn't be something bothersome for end user.

What do you think, folks?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-2314

--

Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Re: 2.x and tika-core dependencies

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
чт, 30 мар. 2017 г. в 23:22, Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>:

> Hi Konstantin,
>
> > ... snip ...
> > What about adding org.slf4j:slf4j-api also? It's not a big dependency and
> > simplifies logging configuration for user.
>
> Just to make sure I’m understanding, you’re proposing that we have
> slf4j-api as a dependency for tike-core (and I assume that all code calls
> the slf4j API to do logging), right?

Precisely, Ken.

If so, then yes - I’d assumed that was already the case.

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Konstantin,

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 1:01pm, Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm currently refactoring 2.x branch to unify logging there [1].
>
> Did we relaxed our policy about deps in tika-core? As I see there are
> commons-io and commons-codec in its deps.
> I do remember discussions about commons-io but not about commons-codec.
>
> What about adding org.slf4j:slf4j-api also? It's not a big dependency and
> simplifies logging configuration for user.

Just to make sure I’m understanding, you’re proposing that we have slf4j-api as a dependency for tike-core (and I assume that all code calls the slf4j API to do logging), right?

If so, then yes - I’d assumed that was already the case.

— Ken

> JUL has no way to bridge to SLF4J automatically I'm aware of. Without
> additional downstream code, I mean.
>
> To forward JUL to SLF4J you have to add jul-to-slf4j as dependecy *and*
> invoke static method in SLF4JBridgeHandler to register it.
> It forces downstream user to write additional code to make logging work as
> intended.
>
> Almost everyone use some dependency management tool
> (Maven/Ant+Ivy/Gradle/SBT/whatever) in their projects,
> so it shouldn't be something bothersome for end user.
>
> What do you think, folks?
>
> [1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-2314
>
> --
>
> Best regards,