Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2006/01/25 04:44:41 UTC

[VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal

= OFBiz Proposal =

This proposal outlines the creation of a new, top-level Open for
Business (OFBiz) project within the Apache Software Foundation.

== Rationale ==

The Open For Business Project is an open source enterprise automation
software project.
By open source enterprise automation we mean: Open Source ERP, Open Source CRM,
Open Source E-Business / E-Commerce, Open Source SCM, Open Source MRP, Open
Source CMMS/EAM, and so on. It is one of the few apps of this type to be under a
"BSD-style" license, and developed by a community, rather than one corporation.
The maintainers of OFBiz are interested in joining the Apache Software
Foundation for
several reasons:

 * The legal umbrella. There are no outstanding legal issues with
OFBiz, but the protection that Apache affords is valuable to the
developers' peace of mind as their   project grows. It is a benefit
for both contributors and end-users to have a trusted   entity
involved with this aspect of the software.

 * Resolve current potential licensing issues with copyright license
assignment and patent license grants that are addressed in the Apache
2.0 license, but not in the MIT license. We had considered making this
change independently earlier this year.

 * Increase public awareness of OFBiz and of the application of Apache
licensing to   business aplication level software. Lately the news is
full of companies that are using  a dual-license (GPL and commercial)
model for enterprise software and OFBiz   working with Apache opens an
opportunity to strengthen what we feel is a much   higher value way of
doing things for both contributors and users.

 * Help the project attract contributors and service providers to
attract clients who would   feel more comfortable with the licensing
coming through a well known and  established organization like Apache.

== Criteria ==

=== Community ===

OFBiz has striven to foster a diverse community that is open to
everyone. It is released
under a non-reciprocal license to encourage the maximum possible adoption by all
potential users and developers. The OFBiz community encourages suggestions and
contributions from any potential user, and more developers have joined
as contributors
since the project's inception in 2001.

=== Meritocracy ===

OFBiz was originally created by David E. Jones and Andy Zeneski in May 2001. The
project now has committers and users from around the world. The newer
committers of
the project joined in subsequent years by initially submitting
patches, then having
commit privileges for some of the applications, and then privileges
over a larger range of
applications. The project members understand the importance of letting motivated
individuals contribute to the project after they have proven themselves.

== Scope of Subprojects ==

OFBiz is distributed as one large subversion tree, but contains two
distinct parts: a
framework, and a number of applications built with that framework. At
some point in
the future, it is conceivable that these become two subprojects, or more, were
applications deemed suitable to be developed independently.
Additionally, the OFBiz
subversion repository contains a "specialized" directory with vertical
applications
specific to particular businesses. Where these are grown and
contributed to, they could
also potentially take on a "life of their own", or split off into
separate projects that do not
ship with the core.

== Features ==

OFBiz is both a set of flexible, extensible applications such as
"e-commerce", "order
management", "catalog management", "work effort" and so on, designed
by engineers
with years of experience in the problem domain, as well as a framework
that makes it
possible to create new applications that exist with others.

== Initial Source ==

OFBiz was developed by David E. Jones and Andy Zeneski.

== Resources to be Created ==

User, Dev, and Announce mailing lists.
Copy current subversion code, and create a commits mailing list.
Copy JIRA issues into Apache system.
Create Wiki?

== Avoiding the Warning Signs ==

=== Orphaned products: ===

The OFBiz code is currently used and maintained by the authors and
others, who depend
on it for their livelihood. Continued development of OFBiz continues
on a daily basis,
and there are on average 50 new commits to the OFBiz SVN source tree
per week. In
fact, there is a weekly development summary on this web site:
http://ofbiz-new.blogspot.com .

=== Inexperience with Open Source: ===

The developers use a number of other open source projects within OFBiz, and are
interested in how best to make open source work with their project, both from a
community and business perspective.

=== Homogeneous Developers: ===

The developers are diverse, both geographically and in terms of their employers:

 * David E. Jones and Andy Zeneski are from the United States (Orem,
UT and New York City) and are the founders of Undersun Consulting LLC
(which is a separate and independent entity from The Open For Business
Project and has no ownership or other legal relationship to it, as was
planned from the beginning).

 * Hans Bakker is from the Netherlands but now lives in Thailand and
runs consulting and services companies in both countries.

 * Al Byers is from Utah and is an independent consultant.

 * Jacopo Cappellato is from Italy and works on manufacturing
management and related software for his company, TAU Informatica SrL.

 * Si Chen is from Los Angeles and is both an OFBiz user at his
company Gracious Style, Inc. and service provider at Open Source
Strategies, Inc.

In addition, there are other contributors from France, Germany,
Portugal, the UK, US, Canada, Australia, India, Japan, China, and
various other countries.

Many contributors come from a software background, but OFBiz has also
attracted many people from business and other backgrounds that are
somewhat technical and have learned enough of the technology to
contribute significantly to the project.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers: ===

There is a good balance of developers in the OFBiz community today.
Many of the developers are independents who rely on OFBiz for their
consulting work, while others
work at end user organizations for whom OFBiz is a core part of the
technology mix.

=== No Ties to other Apache Products: ===

Many Apache products are used within OFBiz, including Tomcat, Derby,
Xerces, Jakarta
commons, Lucene, Xalan, ORO, Log4j. Also, the proprietary bug tracking
tool used at
the ASF, JIRA, is based on technology from OFBiz.

=== A Fascination with the Apache Brand: ===

The developers of OFBiz have been quite successful on their own and
could continue on
that path with no problems at all. They are interested in joining the
ASF in order to
increase their contacts and visibility in the open source world.

== Committers ==

 * David E. Jones
 * Andy Zeneski
 * Si Chen
 * Al Byers
 * Jacopo Cappellato
 * Hans Bakker

== Proposed Apache Sponsor ==
Incubator PMC

== Champions ==

 * David N. Welton <da...@apache.org>
 * Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
 * J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 1/25/06, Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk> wrote:
> -1 (non-binding) - I think this proposal is too different
> from our other projects to be a good fit for the ASF.

My belief is that the foundation goes in the direction that our
members want.  We've got three members who are willing to step up.
So, I'm willing to see how it plays out.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
-1 (non-binding) - I think this proposal is too different
from our other projects to be a good fit for the ASF.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Tally the votes, and post a message to this list with a [VOTE][RESULT]
subject and a total of the votes.  CC the OFBiz users list probably.

Then we'll need to package up the code for a donation, create a JIRA
issue for it e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1, get
the iCLAs faxed to Jim and recorded by him, get going on resource
creation (SVN repo, mailing lists, etc.)

Yoav

On 1/30/06, David N. Welton <da...@dedasys.com> wrote:
> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
> > = OFBiz Proposal =
>
> So... this went out on the 25th... what's next?
>
> --
> David N. Welton
> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 1/24/06, J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>
> = OFBiz Proposal =

+1.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>
> = OFBiz Proposal =

+1

Upayavira

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>
> = OFBiz Proposal =
>
> This proposal outlines the creation of a new, top-level Open for
> Business (OFBiz) project within the Apache Software Foundation.

+1 (non-binding)

from me as well, just for the record.

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
After some good thought about what to do with the system I am currently writing, I have come to the
conclusion that there is a big overlap between ofbiz and it is worth it to invest the time to start
using ofbiz for my solution and also this way prevent too much code duplication.

In short : I would definitely like to get involved and help out with the incubation effort.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
+1 (non binding)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 January 2006 11:44, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>>http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>>
>>= OFBiz Proposal =

+1 (non-binding)

I look forward to working on this project as part of the ASF (or otherwise)

Ross

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 25 January 2006 11:44, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>
> = OFBiz Proposal =

+1 (non-binding).

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.
On Jan 24, 2006, at 8:44 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
>
> = OFBiz Proposal =

+1 (non-binding)

I'm obviously a little biased on this because of my involvement in
OFBiz and not sure if my vote is even appropriate, but I wanted to
make sure everyone knew that I am still very much behind this
proposal from the OFBiz side.

-David

Re: Roles (was OFBiz proposal)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On Jan 27, 2006, at 4:36 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> And as for OFBiz itself, both David and I are willing to mentor and
> others have said they'll step up to the role if necessary.  Do you
> want me to update the proposal or is it fine as it is?

I've been just lurking so far since I didn't have any time left to
follow up closely, but I'm more than willing to help as well.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Roles (was OFBiz proposal)

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 1/26/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> David N. Welton wrote:
>
> > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > > Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going
> > > to mentor the project?
>
> > According to the docs I read, the incubator PMC is supposed to assign
> > them.
>
> The docs still need revising.

Yep.

Though I am interested in one more clarification:  number of mentors.
According to the current docs, there's only one mentor.  However, in
practice, they are sometimes several.  Is this an issue?  Is it better
to have one person have the final responsibility or to spread it out?

> If the project is sponsored by another PMC, they must line up Mentors first,
> or we are going to bounce the project as being out of conformance with
> Incubation requirements.  If the Incubator PMC sponsors the project, there
> must be Mentors lined up before we vote for it.  We are not in the business
> of providing or "assigning" Mentors.  Having Mentors serves a number of
> legal and structural purposes, and effectively limits the Incubator.  If
> there isn't sufficient interest that we have active Mentors participating,
> we cannot incubate the project.  Simple as that.

Can I just change the docs to reflect this or do we need a formal vote
for changing "official" policy documents?

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
First, +1 for the proposal vote.

> these requirements and policies.  In any case, both David and I have
> expressed a willingness to mentor and I believe Yoav may be as well,
> though I don't recall him specifically saying so.

I would prefer to remain a champion rather than a mentor at this time
(using the current role definitions on the Incubator site), because
I've taken on a lot of new things the past few weeks.  However, I do
intend to be actively involved, and if/when we change the rule to
require 3 ASF Members as mentors, I am perfectly willing to be the
3rd.

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 1/25/06, David N. Welton <da...@dedasys.com> wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> >>  * David N. Welton <da...@apache.org>
> >>  * Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
> >>  * J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
> >

> > Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going to mentor
> > the project?
>
> According to the docs I read, the incubator PMC is supposed to assign
> them.  I'd planned to help out where possible in that role.

Exactly.  According to the *current* Incubator policies, a proposal
only starts with champions.  The sponsor, in this case the Incubator
PMC, is supposed to assign a mentor upon acceptance of the proposal.
Technically, the policies only refer to a single champion and single
mentor.  There's nothing to suggest there cannot be more than one
champion, but the documentation does suggest that the mentor role is
fulfilled by a single individual who has specific oversight
responsibilities.

In practice, the roles of champion and mentor have been reversed and
confused.  In particular there was a recent vote on changing some of

Re: Roles (was OFBiz proposal)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> David N. Welton wrote:
>

>>Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>>Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going
>>>to mentor the project?
>

>>According to the docs I read, the incubator PMC is supposed to assign
>>them.
>

> The docs still need revising.
>
> The Champion role really ends when the project is accepted for Incubation.
> If a champion is also going to be a Mentor, that's a separate role.

> In any event, I believe that I have heard that J. Aaron Farr and David are
> keen to act as Mentors.  Yoav is willing, but not overly keen.  Anyone else?
> I have noticed interest amongst other Members.

If necessary I will be a mentor, although since there already to be
enough volunteers I will probably serve the project and the Incubator
better by using this as an opportunity to learn exactly what the mentor
role is.

Ross

Roles (was OFBiz proposal)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
David N. Welton wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going
> > to mentor the project?

> According to the docs I read, the incubator PMC is supposed to assign
> them.

The docs still need revising.

The Champion role really ends when the project is accepted for Incubation.
If a champion is also going to be a Mentor, that's a separate role.

If the project is sponsored by another PMC, they must line up Mentors first,
or we are going to bounce the project as being out of conformance with
Incubation requirements.  If the Incubator PMC sponsors the project, there
must be Mentors lined up before we vote for it.  We are not in the business
of providing or "assigning" Mentors.  Having Mentors serves a number of
legal and structural purposes, and effectively limits the Incubator.  If
there isn't sufficient interest that we have active Mentors participating,
we cannot incubate the project.  Simple as that.

In any event, I believe that I have heard that J. Aaron Farr and David are
keen to act as Mentors.  Yoav is willing, but not overly keen.  Anyone else?
I have noticed interest amongst other Members.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jan 24, 2006, at 7:44 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OFBizProposal
> == Committers ==
>
>  * David E. Jones
>  * Andy Zeneski
>  * Si Chen
>  * Al Byers
>  * Jacopo Cappellato
>  * Hans Bakker
>
> == Proposed Apache Sponsor ==
> Incubator PMC
>
> == Champions ==
>
>  * David N. Welton <da...@apache.org>
>  * Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
>  * J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>

Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going to mentor
the project?

....Roy

Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Personally I'm quite impressed that we've had 3
independent-of-each-other committers talking to us on the previous
thread. Seems like a good indication of community from the very
beginning.

Hen

RE: [VOTE] OFBiz Proposal

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> This proposal outlines the creation of a new, top-level Open for
> Business (OFBiz) project within the Apache Software Foundation.

Uh, no.  Minor point in the scheme of things, but while it may be the intent
for it to eventually become a TLP, the proposal is for the incubation of the
project.

	--- Noel