Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com> on 2022/04/10 15:50:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Dear Incubator Community,

After a discussion[1][2] and vote[3] with the community, we believe Apache Doris (Incubating) is ready for graduation to a TLP, and we'd like to make a discussion with the IPMC.

Doris is an MPP-based interactive SQL data warehousing for reporting and analysis and entering the incubator in Sep, 2018.

The following is a brief overview of the progress of the Doris project and community since entering the incubator:

1. Community

    - 9 new PPMC members were added, from five different companies, bringing the total number of PPMC members to 22.

    - 20 new Committers were added (including the new PPMC members), bringing the total number of Committers to 33.

    - The number of Contributors is now 289 and growing[4].

2. Project

    - 7 releases by 6 release managers. All compliance issues have been resolved.

    - Doris official website[5] is compliant with Apache Foundation requirements[6].

    - Project maturity model is detailed in [7].

    - We have also created a pre-graduation Check List[8] following the Apache official website guidelines and are currently moving forward.

    - See Doris Project Incubation Status[9] for more info

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/90fd2pd3r6wgn4hnfdo3rd0wqkv23cgr

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/xc5qj7m2k1ph0mc97otj0nf8vskdfrzv

[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/9yklv4vbp39jhrzbcx3qgpcs1osk3lyf

[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-doris

[5] http://doris.incubator.apache.org/

[6] https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/doris

[7] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DORIS/Maturity+Assessment+for+Doris

[8] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DORIS/Graduation+Check+List

[9] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/doris.html

Please see the proposed board resolution below and let us know what you think.

The discussion will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Establish the Apache Doris Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of

the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish

a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance

of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,

related to a MPP-based interactive SQL data warehousing for reporting

and analysis.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee

(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Doris Project", be and hereby is

established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Doris Project be and hereby is responsible for

the creation and maintenance of software related to a MPP-based

interactive SQL data warehousing for reporting and analysis; and be it

further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Doris" be and

hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the

direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Doris

Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the

projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Doris Project;

and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are

appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Doris Project:

 * Bin Ling          <li...@apache.org>

 * Bo Wang           <wa...@apache.org>

 * Chaoyong Li       <li...@apache.org>

 * Chun Zhao         <zh...@apache.org>

 * Conghui Cai       <ca...@apache.org>

 * Dayue Gao         <ga...@apache.org>

 * De Li             <li...@apache.org>

 * Hangyuan Liu      <li...@apache.org>

 * Hao Chen          <ch...@apache.org>

 * HaoPeng Li        <li...@apache.org>

 * Jiafeng Zhang     <ji...@apache.org>

 * Kaisen Kang       <ka...@apache.org>

 * Ling Miao         <li...@apache.org>

 * Ming Wen          <we...@apache.org>

 * Mingyu Chen       <mo...@apache.org>

 * Ruyue Ma          <ma...@apache.org>

 * Shao Feng Shi     <sh...@apache.org>

 * Sijie Guo         <si...@apache.org>

 * Willem Ning Jiang <ni...@apache.org>

 * Zheng Shao        <zs...@apache.org>

 * Zhengguo Yang     <ya...@apache.org>

 * Zuo Wei           <we...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mingyu Chen be appointed to

the office of Vice President, Apache Doris, to serve in accordance with

and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of

the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or

disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Doris Project be and hereby is tasked with the

migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Doris podling; and

be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator

Doris podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

discharged.

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org>.
Yes, StarRocks is my employer now.
After I learned that there is a license issue in StarRocks codebase, I
informed this to the company.
When we realized the oversight, we changed the license headers ASAP.

Thanks,
Zhao Chun

John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> 于2022年5月20日周五 20:27写道:

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org>.
Justin, thanks for your note.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The project was aware of these issues before the graduation proposal was submitted, and some issues had been outstanding for more than a year. I understand it can be complex and take time dealing with 3rd parties about these issues, but I do have to ask if there are people from StarRocks on the PPMC, why was this not resolved earlier? Also why should those people, that have relicensed Apache Doris under Elastic License 2.0, be on the proposed PMC?

Also, this seems very reactive. Projects need to proactively manage their trademarks and brand and not just fix things when asked to.

Not a project problem, but I’ll also note that the StarRock changes mentioned are not enough to comply with the Apache license requirements. Small changes do not allow StarRocks to change the license of a file without the copyright holder's permission.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re:Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
The website[1] has been modified, such as adding asf disclaimer at the footer.
And this artical[2] is a machine-translated article by a third-party website. We have contacted the author to delete the corresponding Chinese article.(This article is just a personal blog and does not come from starrocks company or PPMC members)

[1] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index
[2] https://chowdera.com/2022/135/202205150625040654.html

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-16 21:21:24,"陈明雨" <mo...@163.com> 写道:

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> I searched their website and found this is a link "trademarks"[1] at the bottom of every page. Does this meet the requirements?

No as explained before it does not. Most of the answers can be found in the trademark FAQ including [1][2][3] There are further issues with pages like [4].

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#obvious
2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#guide
3. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#attribution
4. https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/blog/webinar_220426

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi,

[1] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/product/trademarks

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-16 15:25:20,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,

1. About articles of "Doris" in google search results

The articles you mentioned in your last email have been contacted to the corresponding website for deletion. However, there are indeed some articles that are not well described and do not conform to ASF specifications. I looked at these articles in general, most of them are based on revisions of some historical articles, and are NOT actively spread by starrock or the Doris team. As far as I know, since the starrock team changed its name in September last year, it has not voluntarily published any articles with branding issues.

But these articles are indeed the consequences of previous wrongdoing. Doris PPMC will also continue to promote the rectification or deletion of related articles.

2. About PMC list

First of all, I have to admit that when the name DorisDB was first used, starrocks and Doris team did not realize that the name violated Apache regulations. But after learning about it, the Doris team pushed to complete the renaming operation, and nearly 9 months have passed since that operation. Since the name change in September 2021, the Doris team, including starrocks employees, has strictly followed the Apache trademark and branding guidelines (of course there are still some oversights and omissions, but this does not represent our motivation). So I think the current PMC list is reasonable and can help the Doris project continue to develop healthily.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the update on the trademark transfer.

There are still some branding and trademark issues outstanding, a simple google search shows this. e.g. search for "Baidu Doris" or "DorisDB". For instance, this page (updated 4 days ago) [1] or this page [2] (updated 7 days ago) and others. And then we have this [3] , which from the translation the start reads like it's something from the Apache Doris project, but it encourages people to use StarRocks. [3] The (P)PMC need to be more proactive in dealing with this.

What concerns me is that the proposed PMC contains people that could have done something about these issues to stop them from happening, for instance, by not selecting DorisDB as a name in the first place or by respecting the ASF license in the StarRocks project. Do these people have the project's best interests in mind?

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://segmentfault.com/product/1890000040112964
2. https://segmentfault.com/product/1890000040112964
3. https://cdmana.com/2022/134/202205140128177660.html

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
Sorry for the late reply. First of all, I would like to explain the issues about the Doris trademark.

1. Trademark and branding issues related to Starrocks

Starrocks is a database product of a commercial company that used the name DorisDB in early 2021. After that, Doris PPMC received a notice that the name "DorisDB" was involved in trademark infringement, and began to negotiate with that commercial company. Eventually, the company officially renamed dorisdb to starrocks[1] in September 2021. At the same time, these domains[2] and codebase[3] are no longer in use.

And, I mentioned the progress of this thing in the Doris podling report in November 2021[4], which said:

> Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

> The main branding issue has been addressed(DorisDB renamed to StarRocks).

So, we believe that the branding issue with the Doris has been resolved in September 2021.

2. Questions about the transfer of the Doris trademark

The Doris trademark was originally held by Baidu, which started to transfer the trademark to ASF in January this year. At the beginning of April, Baidu inc signed the Assignment forms, PoAs and Assignment agreement sent by ASF and forwarded them to ASF's attorney in China[5]. But I don't know why Mark Thomas didn't know about the progress. We are inquiring with the asf attorney in China.

3. What is the relationship between the proposed PPMC and chair to the StarRocks project?

In Doris' Resolution, there are 22 initial PMC members. We have asked every PPMC member in the private@doris if they are willing to join Doris PMC[6]. And by default, all PPMC members agree to join. Among the 22, 4 of them work for Starrocks, and I personally, as the PMC Chair, am not an employee of starrocks.

4. License issue

This is indeed a problem, I have communicated with starrocks and will notify the progress as soon as possible. But as you said, it's not a graduation issues.

[1] https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/3zHPnPbowIj_OpMIHAobGA

[2] dorisdb.com

[3] github.com/DorisDB

[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/November2021

[5] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dx8c2969171p9z2oz21tq3tfocjt5k9d

[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/3f5wnb2w8gp48dqh39wf17cw1jf9w6p7

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
I have already made some answers to your questions.
I would like to know what specific problems we still need to solve?

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-15 08:32:58,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
> I would have some concerns if these PPMC members are on the proposed PMC member list of Apache Doris. Is this the case?

As far as I'm concerned, this is no problem. Confirmation of the initial PMC membership list is jointly decided by the PPMC members.
We have solved some issues together (such as branding issues about DorisDB) in the past. So I believe we can work together to address other issues that may arise later.

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-14 06:32:41,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by ling miao <li...@apache.org>.
> About branding issue
We have tried to communicate and resolve trademark issues regarding DorisDB
and Doris [1], but it seems that there are still some residual
issues.[2][3] As Doris' PMC I will continue to actively try to address
these issues.
Could the ASF Foundation Legal Department have **more effective** support
on trademark issues?

> I've brought up the StarRocks header license issue on the legal discuss
mailing list
Looking forward to it.

> I’m curious is there any relationship between the proposed Doris PMCor
project and StarRocks?
As far as I know, few Doris PMCs have formed a new company and further
developed their Starrocks (formerly DorisDB) product based on Doris' code.

Ling Miao

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/k8klobjzffobbx161nj6plc0mfl8gc7z
[2] https://github.com/DorisDB
[3] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年5月13日周五 16:11写道:

> Hi,
>
> I've brought up the StarRocks header license issue on the legal discuss
> mailing list, to see what can be done about it.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Justin

Ling Miao | Apache Doris

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

It looks like some of the previous trademark/branding issues that have been raised (around a year ago) still need to be resolved. What is the status with this?

For instance:
https://cloud-tencent-com.translate.goog/product/cdwdoris?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/index.html?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/product/palo.html?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/s/xkmeammlk?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/s/vkmealtfz?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
> One other issue is trademark ownership, previously it been stated that Baidu owns the Doris trademark in China. Have this trademark been transferred to the ASF?Yes, It has been transferred. We have completed the communication with Mark Thomas on the matter of trademark transfer, and have completed the relevant paperwork. The follow-up transfer process is currently being completed by a representative attorney.

> It looks like some of the previous trademark/branding issues that have been raised (around a year ago) still need to be resolved. What is the status with this?

These issues have been resolved. For [1], It has been renamed to Palo(Powered by Doris). And for [2], it has been renamed to CDW(For Doris)

[1] https://cloud.baidu.com/product/palo.html
[2] https://cloud.tencent.com/product/cdwdoris

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 2. I didn't find ASF branding issue on this site[2]. Could you help to point out?

There are several issues but in general this is not being followed [1] So in short use of trademark symbol and missing trademark disclaimer,

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
Thanks for your check.
1. Looks like this repo has been deleted sometime today. So I think this is resolved.

2. I didn't find ASF branding issue on this site[2]. Could you help to point out?

[1] https://github.com/DorisDB
[2] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I think there may still be some issues around DorisDB [1] and StarRocks, although these might not be a graduation issues.

For instance StarRocks claims it’s  "Free and Open Software” but it actually under the Elastic License 2.0.

There are some minor ASF branding/trademark issues on their site as well. [2]

I notice headers in its code state "
// This file is made available under Elastic License 2.0.
// This file is based on code available under the Apache license here:
//   XXX

// Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
// or more contributor license agreements.
….”

AFAIK the project could not change the code from the ASF to the Elastic License 2.0. Any additions could be under a different license but not the original ASF code.

Take a file a random I’m compared them [3][4] and there's no difference between the code at all.

3. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StarRocks/starrocks/8a2d51f986fd46c1d78e152905e06ce7aa932437/fs_brokers/apache_hdfs_broker/src/main/java/com/starrocks/common/ThriftServer.java
4. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator-doris/master/fs_brokers/apache_hdfs_broker/src/main/java/org/apache/doris/common/ThriftServer.java

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Dear IPMC,
Thanks for all the discussions and suggestions.
At present, everyone's suggestions have been responded to and corrected. If there are no other suggestions or comments, I will launch a formal graduation vote in these two days.
Thanks again!

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-04-20 19:03:42,"Ming Wen" <we...@apache.org> 写道:

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
Good luck!

Lidong Dai <li...@apache.org> 于2022年4月16日周六 13:09写道:

Posted by Lidong Dai <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by 谭中意 <zh...@gmail.com>.
great to see this happened.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Please see my comments below.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 8:44 PM Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mingyu and Doris team
>
> Glad to see you are moving forward to the graduation.
>
> I just read your graduation discussion on a dev mail list and notice
> there is only one mentor who confirmed his support.
> And no mentor voted(from vote summary) for your graduation.
> Could you check with your mentors? IPMC wants to hear from your mentors.

+1 for the gradation of Doris.
I'm sorry I missed the PPMC vote part, but I already gave some
feedback in serval thread of discussions,
I think Doris team made a great effort to do the java binary and whole
package binary release recently.
Now Doris are in a good sharp for graduation from the community build
with the information that Mingyu showed in this thread.
We also addressed the branding issue with DorisDB laster year, PPMC
learned how to protect the branding of Doris.

> Also, I can't find the discussion(maybe private?) about whether
> committers should be considered a member of PMC? If you haven't,
> please do a discussion about this too.

There are some discussion in this thread[1] about asking the PPMC to
be a part of PMC.
Mingyu already sent a private mail to ask feedback from PPMC.

> From a code perspective, I remember this podling has some source codes
> from Impala, the PMC of Impala showed their concerns, what is the
> status now? Have the license been handled properly?

Doris team add the copyright information of Impala into the Notice[2]
file 2 years ago.

I suggested Doris team to discuss the code contribution issue with the
Impala team directly long time ago,
I got some responses from Mingyu, it's hard from them to merge the
code together.
"Both communities are iterating rapidly at their own pace, and many
common SQL features do overlap in part, but only in terms of
functionality, with significant differences at the code level."
You can find more information in this thread[3].

> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108

[1]https://lists.apache.org/thread/xc5qj7m2k1ph0mc97otj0nf8vskdfrzv
[2]https://github.com/apache/incubator-doris/blame/master/NOTICE.txt
[3]https://lists.apache.org/thread/d5qxncy2tog63nq3n6y53f7sym3yl6k4

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: Re:Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for fixing this.

I am good for your graduation, congrats to the team.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

陈明雨 <mo...@163.com> 于2022年4月20日周三 12:32写道:

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Sheng Wu,

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Willem and Mingyu

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
In the past years, I see the Doris community grows steadly;  It has
attracted many developers, got a lot of adoptions. In the meanwhile, The
community has been more diverse than before (when entered incubator, most
developers are Baidu engineers); and they know well about how to make
Apache releases; Looking forward to see Doris graduates from the incubator,
and good luck!

Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋
Apache Kylin PMC,
Apache Incubator PMC,
Email: shaofengshi@apache.org

Apache Kylin FAQ: https://kylin.apache.org/docs/gettingstarted/faq.html
Join Kylin user mail group: user-subscribe@kylin.apache.org
Join Kylin dev mail group: dev-subscribe@kylin.apache.org

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Sheng Wu,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I think I provided an update about Doris already. I'm supportive of
the graduation and I would be happy to continue as PMC on Doris
project.

+1 to contact the other mentors.

Regards
JB

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mingyu and Doris team

Glad to see you are moving forward to the graduation.

I just read your graduation discussion on a dev mail list and notice
there is only one mentor who confirmed his support.
And no mentor voted(from vote summary) for your graduation.
Could you check with your mentors? IPMC wants to hear from your mentors.

Also, I can't find the discussion(maybe private?) about whether
committers should be considered a member of PMC? If you haven't,
please do a discussion about this too.

From a code perspective, I remember this podling has some source codes

Posted by li gang <lg...@apache.org>.

--