Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> on 2006/09/13 12:32:43 UTC

[GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

       *******************************
       *                             *
       *   Cocoon GetTogether 2006   *
       *                             *
       *     October 2nd to 4th      *
       *                             *
       * Amsterdam, The Netherlands  *
       *                             *
       * Current count: 61 attendees *
       *                 9 countries *
       *                             *
       ****** www.cocoongt.org *******

Hi there,

17 proposals! Pretty good (much more than last year), although Andrew is
drastically obfuscating the statistics by proposing no less than 6 talks
:-o

In total, we can host about 8 45-minute sessions, so we need to decide on
which 8 or 9 talks have to go.

I'd like to do the voting procedure slightly different this year, in the
sense that everyone who has signed up to the event will receive an invitation
to cast his or her vote. If you feel like voting, but have not yet
registered, *now* is your change! :-)

(I'm getting more and more of a conference salesperson these days :) )

Voting will be off-list and monitored by myself and Steven Noels.

Before starting the whole voting procedure, I'll await any discussion on
the talk proposals. So, let me know what you think of the talks!

Here they come:

1) Arje Cahn: "101 Cocoon Marketing Graphs"

   A short presentation on the outcome of this year's registration survey.
   101 graphs to show to your manager.

   Time: 20 minutes

2) Andrew Savory: "Things your mother never told you about Cocoon
                   (The secret gems of Cocoon rebranded)"

   This session will uncover some of the deep, dark secrets of Cocoon that
   most people never discover. This will draw on the "ah-ha!" moments from
   various Cocoon training sessions, and from a quick Google search for
   "Cocoon Eureka!".

3) Andrew Savory: "10 Reasons to use Cocoon"

   In this session, you'll hear 10 irrefutable reasons to start using Cocoon
   or switch your application to Cocoon right away.

4) Andrew Savory: "Cocoon reloaded: moving from xsp and actions to newer
                   technologies"

   This session will use a couple of ancient cocoon 2.0 web sites to
   illustrate how to make the most of the new Cocoon features such as flow
   and jxtemplate.

5) Andrew Savory: "Case studies"

   What do the BBC, Warwick University and two Visual Arts galleries have
   in common? Find out how Cocoon helped each of these organisations to not
   just build basic web sites, but also to provide dynamic
   user-generated-content-driven immersive web experiences. (*cough*)

6) Andrew Savory: "An illustrated guide to Cocoon technologies"

   (How to NOT get lost in Cocoon technologies rebranded)
   Actions, Authentication, Databases, Flow, Forms, Generators, i18n,
   Matchers, Persistence, Portals, Serializers, Sitemaps, Transformers,
   XSP: you could be forgiven for thinking Cocoon developers speak a
   different language. This session will be a lightning illustrated guide
   to what makes Cocoon applications tick.

7) Andrew Savory: "Cocoon archetypes (How to create a "typical" project
                   with cocoon rebranded)"

   Over the past six years of building Cocoon apps, we've seen it all -
   ant, cvs, hacking by hand, maven, shell scripts, subversion,
   telekinesis: find out here how to follow Cocoon best practice (or avoid
   Cocoon worst practice) when putting together a typical Cocoon project
   from scratch.

8) Reinhard Potz: "PMC Chair opening keynote"

   Time: 20 minutes?

   (Reinhard has not yet responded on my question if he'd want to say
   something, but I guess it would be good to have him or someone else
   present the 'Cocoon state of the project')

9) Andreas Kühne: "'Cocoon at work' or 'things running unexpectedly smooth'"

   Giving an overview of a succesful midsize project using cocoon for
   the upper layer. It's about a signing / verification server running as
   well in an intranet ( signing administration ) as well on the internet
   (free verification service).

   The base layer is implemented using EJBs on jBoss. This backend is
   adapted by a special 'Invocation transformer'. It serves well in
   separating bean access out of other parts of the cocoon layer. Short
   example of a EJB invocation is given.

   Cocoon shows it's well-known strength
   - authentication / session framework
   - i18n
   - multi-channel output of backend data ( e.g. PDF )
   - multi-client-support ( SoC example )
   - easy to expand ( e.g. transformer for signed / encrypted mails )
   - ajax support out of the box

   Most important
   - runs for years without problems
   - easy to expand for new clients
   - fast turnaround cycle ( xslt, sitemap, xsp ... instantly ) compared to
      EJB layer
   - reliable ( didn't came across a cocoon bug, yet )

   real life experience
   - several thousand customers
   - serving legal requirements ( no 'one visit and forget' page )
   - no customer complains ( except for Java applet security probs )

10) Bertrand Delacretaz: "Subversion and Solr - your next content repository?"

   Many content management systems seem to reinvent the wheel when it comes
   to content storage: versioning, triggers, generating differences, all these
   functions have been available in source code control systems for a long
   time. When combined with a full-text and structured index, Subversion
   provides all the required functionality, without using exotic tools and
   with little custom code.

   In this talk, we'll present a prototype content repository based on
   Subversion and the Lucene-based Solr indexer (pronounced "solar"), using
   Cocoon to prepare content for indexing and as a front-end for searching.

   We will show how the basic CRUD+ functions are implemented, using very
   little code, taking advantage of these powerful tools.

11) Arjé Cahn: "Massive websites by example (featuring Hippo CMS and Cocoon)"

   This talk introduces Hippo CMS as an open source Cocoon-based content
   management system for managing large sets of XML documents. Recent websites
   build by Hippo and Sourcesense will be used to demonstrate the features
   of Hippo CMS and the scalability of Apache Cocoon.
   This talk is more than just another CMS presentation: it demonstrates why
   Cocoon is such an excellent platform for delivering large-scale websites
   and intranet applications.

   Level: beginner
   Time: 30 minutes

12) Nico Verwer: "Domain Specific Languages and Cocoon"

   Many applications depend on the knowledge of domain experts to perform
   their functions. The representation of domain-specific knowledge in an
   application can be done by software engineers writing code, but this is
   inefficient, potentially inaccurate, and leads to high maintenance costs.

   Domain-specific languages (DSL) are an example of the Separation of
   Concerns principle. They allow domain experts to directly enter their
   knowledge into a system,  whereas software engineers design and implement
   the DSL. This approach is not new, but has recently attracted attention
   because it is supported in Visual Studio 2005 and Ruby. Of course,
   Cocoon has supported the implementation of DSLs for many years, although
   few people may have been aware of this. In this talk we will present
   some design patterns for implementing DSLs in Cocoon. We will show some
   examples from book and journal publishing, such as large-scale document
   conversions, content-assembly and customized lay-out.

13) Gustavo Nalle Fernandes: "Devware - bringing Cocoon-related technologies
                              to the development environment"

   In this talk the speaker presents devware [1], a free vmware-based server
   composed of several integrated open sources tools already installed
   and configured that are used by development groups in small or
   large projects to manage the life cycle of a product.

   In devware Apache Daisy play a central role, providing an entry point
   to all other tools such as scarab, subversion, luntbuild, maven and
   mainly projects documentation. Session outline:

   - What is devware and what it is used for
   - Devware tools and servers
   - Brief description of daisy capabilities
   - Demo
   - Extending daisy with cocoon pipelines to use dynamic content in documents

   Session prerequisites: Basic knowledge of cocoon
   Session extras: the audience will receive a DVD containing devware
   Session duration: approximately 30 minutes
   [1] http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/313

14) Daniel Fagerstrom: "Reusable webapps with Cocoon blocks"

   It will be shown how to build reusable webapps using the (forthcomming)
   blocks framework in Cocoon 2.2. The blocks framework make it possible to
   create configurable webapp "blocks" that in turn can be extended and
   overrided by other blocks. There are mechanisms for communication between
   blocks. The blocks mechanism also makes it easy to build webapps that
   combine Cocoon blocks with other servlets.

   Comment:
   The talk will be about 45 min and is intended for a medium to advanced
   audience. The stuff that I will talk about works in the OSGi mode but not
   yet in Cocoon 2.2, I'm currently working on "backporting" it to 2.2.
   The talk will be more or less applied depending on how far we get in this
   development.

15) Bruno Dumon: "Document publishing in the Daisy CMS"

   The frontend of the Daisy CMS, called the "Daisy Wiki", which is based on
   Cocoon, has a powerful infrastructure for publishing documents. It offers
   advanced features (recursive processing of inclusions, document type
   specific styling, link and image annotation, and much more) at an
   attractive speed (when not caching the published content). After an
   introduction of what is functionally offered, this talk will delve into
   explaining the conceptual and implementation details of how all this
   achieved. Limitations and disadvantages of the current approach will also
   be addressed.

   So how is this interesting to Cocoon people? The publishing engine is
   largely Cocoon-based, using various pipeline executions with various
   transformation stages. Sharing the design considerations that went into
   it should be interesting for many. The Daisy CMS is also used by the
   Cocoon project to manage its documentation, making a deeper understanding
   of it interesting for Cocoon contributors.

16) Ross McDonald and Jeremy Quinn: "Real life, down-to-earth Cocoon and LDAP"

   beginner level
   - why and when to use LDAP?
   - a contrived example
   - why might this be perceived as difficult?
   - the setup and use of LDAP
   - the setup and use of Cocoons LDAPEntryManager
   - how to use the LDAP component from your own code

   intermediate level
   - empowering developers/designers to build LDAP applications
   - some tips and tricks for large scale LDAP instances

17) Ard Schrijvers, Niels van Kampenhout and Bart van der Schans:
    "Making Cocoon web sites perform"

   This talk demonstrates all you need to know to make your Cocoon website
   perform. Starting from the browser, the server OS, JVM, the
   webserver, to Cocoon caching and all the way up to load balancing.
   Also, there are some guidelines presented to demonstrate how to correctly
   measure the performance of your website so you can develop for *speed*!

   - Return the right headers: expires, pragma, etc
   - Using Apache mod_cache
   - Tuning for browser caching, proxy caching, server caching, etc
   - Using the Cocoon cache: caching, noncaching, ecaching
   - JVM performance and OS specific notes
   - Cocoon cache keys and stores
   - Load balancing Apache Cocoon
   - Measuring performance using Solex and TCPMon

   Level: intermediate

Kind regards,

Arjé Cahn

Hippo

Oosteinde 11
1017WT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel  +31 (0)20 5224466
a.cahn@hippo.nl / www.hippo.nl / arje@apache.org

Re: [GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
hepabolu skrev:
> My first reaction was: can't we fit all of them in?
>

> On second thoughts: I cannot choose between the various talks, but
> given the subject of Daniel's talk and my experience with the
> complexity of his talk of last year, I propose that his talk be moved
> to the Hackathon. I think his talk is more appropriate for committers,
> rather than users of Cocoon.
I got plenty of questions from non-committers after my talk last year.
So there seem to be users interested in what we can expect from Cocoon
in the future as well.

/Daniel

Re: [GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

Re: [GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Ross McDonald said the following on 13/9/06 14:07:
> No problem with a 30 minute speech, the shorter, the simpler the better!

Same feeling here.

Bye, Helma

Re: [GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

Posted by Ross McDonald <ro...@vnu.co.uk>.
No problem with a 30 minute speech, the shorter, the simpler the better!

Ross.

Re: [GT2006] 17 talks proposed!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.