Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by so...@apache.org on 2006/06/01 02:57:07 UTC

Re: Let's start a revolution (was Re: Do we need to enhance our community? How?)

On 5/31/06, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> [Paraphrased] Commit it now!

So I better get SVN working on my dev PC (Win98SE.)  I tried back in
early JAN, but was distracted before making it do anything.  I will
try again tonight.  Expect questions if I have any problems.  In case
it is not obvious, I have not used Subversion before.

I have work to do.  I edited/completed the ToDo list.   There will
also be some documentation.  I need to remove a few hardcoded values;
should have that done tonight.  I did not plan to release this for at
least a month; it needs some cleanup.  And everybody will see exactly
what I am working on:  attempting to make the
RevisionCreatorTransformer return the input rather than empty XML.,
and new navigation XSL for the "menu" module.

I want to do the commits, but it would be nice to have a mentor.  I
would like to send (not on the ML) you (Thorsten) a ZIP of the files
(less than 2 MB before zipping) so you can check what I do is what I
intended.  Every change is clearly marked.  Most of the files are new,
but there are patches to Lenya1.2.2 files.  Must I commit the entire
file, or can it be just a diff?  What about the files that were not
modified?

Should we start with 1.2.2 or 1.2.x?  It should not matter much, but I
tested with 1.2.2, and I remember complaints on the MLs about
upgrading. Did the storage format change?

If everything goes smoothly, the branch will be ready by Monday.

solprovider

Re: Let's start a revolution (was Re: Do we need to enhance our community? How?)

Posted by so...@apache.org.
Thorsten,

Thanks for all your help.  It is time to start a new thread.

solprovider

Re: Let's start a revolution (was Re: Do we need to enhance our community? How?)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El sáb, 10-06-2006 a las 12:57 +0200, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> El vie, 09-06-2006 a las 20:43 -0400, solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> > A test commit worked.  The data migraton worked with 1.2.x.
> >
> > Need the migration to add default Index Configurations, but that is
> > easy (just copying files).
> >
> > Will work on the "menu" Module (Navigation Elements for flat content).
> >  It will use the old Navigation Elements until that is finished, so
> > not a stopper.
> >
> > Getting a NullPointerException in a custom XSP using "ac" Classes.  It
> > is used everywhere in my Publication, but does not affect anybody
> > else, so not a stopper.
> >
> > Guess we're ready.
> >
> > ===
> > Thorsten,
> >
> > Will you copy the 1.2.x branch to 1.3?
>
> Will do it now.

Done.

you need to
cd https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/branches/revolution
svn up

> > Then there are 10 files to be modified, and a ton of new files.
> >
> > Should I put the documentation on the root of 1.3?
> > (ABOUT.txt, UPGRADE.txt, HELP.txt, TODO.txt)
>
> Please wait till I copy the 1.2.x branch.

Now you can add this files.

salu2

> salu2
>

> > solprovider

thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Let's start a revolution (was Re: Do we need to enhance our community? How?)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> Just a progress report.
>
> My password issue is resolved.  I'll try a commit tonight.
>
> I took a snapshot of 1.2.x yesterday and upgraded it to 1.3.
>
> The following files in cocoon-1.2.7 need to be converted to DOS format:
> build.bat
> tools\bin\ant.bat
> tools\bin\antRun.bat
> tools\bin\appendcp.bat
> tools\bin\lcp.bat
>
> Does Lenya-1.2.x work with both cocoon-1.2.7 and 1.2.8?

yes, I think 2.1.8 is set as default within build.properties
> The
> instructions say to download cocoon-1.2.7, but build.properties
> defaults to cocoon-1.2.8.  I am using cocoon-1.2.7.

I think the docu is outdated

Michi

> There is a SiteTreeGenerator where I had my SitetreeGenerator.  I
> moved mine to the content package.  Renamed the 1.2.x one to
> "sitetree2".  The 1.2.x one is only used in 2 files, and both of them
> should be obsolete.
>
> All the Modules are in Global rather than in a Publication, which
> exposed a few issues in the Modules.  I will test the Hierarchical
> (1.2) -> Flat (1.3) content migration as soon as those issues are
> fixed.  That must work out-of-the-box since the authoring screens for
> Flat content are missing.  (You can edit Hierarchical Documents and
> Assets and just rerun the migration.)  Might be able to use the old
> authoring screens, but many of the improvements would be hidden.  Also
> should finish the Menu Module (Navigation replacement) so menus work
> from Flat content.
>
> solprovider

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Let's start a revolution (was Re: Do we need to enhance our community? How?)

Posted by so...@apache.org.
Just a progress report.

My password issue is resolved.  I'll try a commit tonight.

I took a snapshot of 1.2.x yesterday and upgraded it to 1.3.

The following files in cocoon-1.2.7 need to be converted to DOS format:
build.bat
tools\bin\ant.bat
tools\bin\antRun.bat
tools\bin\appendcp.bat
tools\bin\lcp.bat

Does Lenya-1.2.x work with both cocoon-1.2.7 and 1.2.8?  The

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 05-06-2006 a las 08:58 -0400, solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> On 6/5/06, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Basically you need to:
> > ssh -l solprovider people.apache.org
>
> >From the lack of instructions, I am the first person to forget their
> password.  I cannot login to people.apache.org.  I changed my password
> in JAN.  I know I picked a new password that I had not used before.  I
> used it several times in JAN, but the concussion wiped it from my
> mind.  I could not find any instructions to request it to be reset.
> Is there an automated process?  Is there an email address to send the
> request?

I do not know whether there is an automate process (could not find
anything in the documentation), so I wrote to infrastructure@a.o to
reset your ssh password. That may take a wile.

> > Which version of 1.2 do we want to base 1.3 on?
>
> I do not know yet.  I am testing and will let you know.

Ok, perfect.

Thanks.

salu2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 02-06-2006 a las 04:05 -0400, solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> == Progress ==
> SVN checkout works.  I must have installed it correctly in December.
> I have the empty 1.3 branch, and am currently getting 1.2.x. Added
> file using CLI.  The SVN CLI will drive me crazy, so want a GUI.  I
> installed tortoisesvn 1.1.7-MBCS.  The Unicode version and all later
> releases require WinNT/2K/XP.  Need to reboot before testing it.
> (Isn't Windows great?)
>
> I cannot checkin because I forgot my password, have no record of it,
> and could not guess it.  Where's the "Reset password" button?

some links
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/user-ssh.html

Basically you need to:
ssh -l solprovider people.apache.org
> svnpasswd

...and then change your password.

> I removed all the hardcoded directories in the code.   Added to ToDo
> and Help files.  Some general code cleanup, and added a few comments.
>
> == ToDo ==
> 1. Reset password.
> 2. Upgrade 1.2.x to 1.3, and test.  Let you know if it works.
>
> I have all the Java files in one directory.  Do I need to create the
> package directories? Will something do that for me?  Or wait until you
> copy an existing branch?  (Compiling with javac puts the .class files
> in the correct directories, and it was easier to keep them in one
> directory.)

Which version of 1.2 do we want to base 1.3 on?
We should choose a version and add it to 1.3, then we can apply the new
patches to make it 1.3.

salu2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El mié, 31-05-2006 a las 20:57 -0400, solprovider@apache.org escribió:
> On 5/31/06, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> > [Paraphrased] Commit it now!
>
> So I better get SVN working on my dev PC (Win98SE.)  I tried back in
> early JAN, but was distracted before making it do anything.  I will
> try again tonight.  Expect questions if I have any problems.  In case
> it is not obvious, I have not used Subversion before.

Try http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ it is nice for win (last project I
was forced to use win). Besides the cli is always good to have
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

You will need PuTTY and all of the tools:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

> I have work to do.  I edited/completed the ToDo list.   There will
> also be some documentation.  I need to remove a few hardcoded values;
> should have that done tonight.  I did not plan to release this for at
> least a month; it needs some cleanup.  And everybody will see exactly
> what I am working on:  attempting to make the
> RevisionCreatorTransformer return the input rather than empty XML.,
> and new navigation XSL for the "menu" module.

Sounds good.

> I want to do the commits, but it would be nice to have a mentor.

We will all try to mentor you and I especially will be happy to help
where I can.

> would like to send (not on the ML) you (Thorsten) a ZIP of the files
> (less than 2 MB before zipping) so you can check what I do is what I
> intended.

I prefer that you check it in directly and I will review it in the svn.
Why? We need to be careful that all lenya specific stuff comes back to
the project.

If you still prefer not to directly check it in then please open a bug,
that everybody who has an interest can help. I am just a small wheel in
this community.

> Every change is clearly marked.  Most of the files are new,
> but there are patches to Lenya1.2.2 files.  Must I commit the entire
> file, or can it be just a diff?  What about the files that were not
> modified?
>
> Should we start with 1.2.2 or 1.2.x?  It should not matter much, but I
> tested with 1.2.2, and I remember complaints on the MLs about
> upgrading. Did the storage format change?

Not sure, my guts says we should svn copy the latest 1.2.x head to
1.3-revolution and apply your patches and modifications. This way we
have a nice history of changes within svn and a running system. Another
benefit is that bugs may already be fixed for certain parts of the code.

I have not work that intensive with 1.2 and do not recall all changes,
but we will find out. Hopefully someone in this community can give a
clearer statement on this.

> If everything goes smoothly, the branch will be ready by Monday.

No pressure. Just tell me if on which version of 1.2 you want to base it
and I will prepare the branch.

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler