Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Stephen ." <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/18 09:26:11 UTC

Importing CERTIFICATE into Java Keystore

Hi.

I have an IDM instance setup.

I am currently trying to configure and set-up an LDAP Resource.

During the configuration, I got the error :

"Could not connect to the LDAP server "api.csc.fi". ==>
javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed: api.csc.fi:636"

Upon extensive research (on Tomcat websites, as well as Forums), I got
the notion that I needed to import the ldapCertificate into my JAVA
Keystore, otherwise it would be impossible for IDM to successfully
connect to LDAP.

I am using Apache Tomcat as my application server. I was able to locate
several online documents which explained how to import a trusted
certificate into the Keystore (unfortunately, these documents seem to
give several different solutions to the same problem).

Eventually, I decided to use the following command at my command-prompt :

 keytool -importcert -alias abc -file ABCCA.cer     (where "abc" is the alias)

The import was successful.

However, I am still getting the same error on my LDAP configuration.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there something ELSE I need to do ?

Best regards,

Stephen

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from HotmailĀ®.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009

Re: Importing CERTIFICATE into Java Keystore

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Importing CERTIFICATE into Java Keystore

Posted by "Stephen ." <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Hi again,

I got the LDAP connection working on my IDM.

"Test Connection Succeeded"

However, when I try to create a new User on the LDAP Resource, I get the following error :

javax.naming.CommunicationException:

sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid
certification path to requested target

Do you have an idea what this could mean?

Thanks

Regards

Stephen

Posted by "Stephen ." <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Chris,

thank you for your reply.

And thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to explain all this to me.

I really don't know much about JNDI.  I don't even know where and how it is configured.

But, I am going to try your suggestions, and see if it works out.

If you want, I could keep you posted on this.

Thanks again.

http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_1:092010

Re: Importing CERTIFICATE into Java Keystore

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by "Stephen ." <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Thanks for your response,

No, I don't know any of these things.  This is why I am so confused!!

My JAVA folder has 3 different locations which contain the command "KEYTOOL"

I don't even know which of them is supposed to hold the certificate.

Yesterday, just to be on the safe side, I imported my certificate into ALL 3 locations (under 3 different aliases)

Still did not work.

Then I found yet another command online which says that, it's not enough to import the certificate into keystore.  It needs to be imported directly into the CACERT file.

But, it does not say HOW this should be done!!

To make matters even worse, I found yet another "advice" in Tomcat's documentation, saying : before importing the certificate, you need to first import a so-called TRUST CHAIN.

In some places, it says you need this trust chain if the certificate was applied for by yourself.

In some places, it does not mention the trust chain at all, if you already trust the certificate.

So, what exactly is the CORRECT way to do this?

And what is the right command???

is it  :       keytool -import -file tomcatCert.crt -trustcacerts -alias tomcat -keystore c:/apps/jdk/jre/lib/security/cacerts -storepass changeit

or is it  :    keytool -import -alias root -keystore <your_keystore_filename> -trustcacerts -file <filename_of_the_chain_certificate>

or :     keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore <your_keystore_filename> -file <your_certificate_filename>

or :      keytool -importcert -alias abc -file ABCCA.cer

Which is it ???

And what is the difference between KEYSTORE and CACERT ????

I am just so confused!!

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.