Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/06/09 12:57:19 UTC

dev@avalon.apache.org attachment configuration request

Dear infrastructure peeps,

Avalon would like to be able to send/receive attachments on
dev@avalon.apache.org. At the moment just about everything
is blocked. AIUI from recent talks here wrt to the log4j list(s),
behaviour is quite configurable, and that it is easiest to just allow
all mimetypes through.

Our only concern is still making sure that viruses do not get
through. Not knowing exactly how (if any) antivirus tools are
set up, I guess I should just leave it up to you to decide how
to make sure that doesn't happen :D

Could someone look into this at earliest possible convenience?

thanks! cheers,

- Leo Simons

In case such info is helpful, some filetypes (top-of-head) we'd
like to be able to send/receive:

Binary files
---
.zip
.gz
.tgz
.jar
.bar
.sar
.war
.ear
.class
.pdf
.gif
.jpg
.png
.svg

Text files
---
.txt
.xml
.log
.diff
.patch
.xconf
.xtype
.java
.jelly
.conf
.properties
.html
.htm

Re: dev@avalon.apache.org attachment configuration request

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Dear infrastructure peeps,
>
> Avalon would like to be able to send/receive attachments on
> dev@avalon.apache.org. At the moment just about everything
> is blocked. AIUI from recent talks here wrt to the log4j list(s),
> behaviour is quite configurable, and that it is easiest to just allow
> all mimetypes through.
>
> Our only concern is still making sure that viruses do not get
> through. Not knowing exactly how (if any) antivirus tools are
> set up, I guess I should just leave it up to you to decide how
> to make sure that doesn't happen :D
>
> Could someone look into this at earliest possible convenience?
>
> thanks! cheers,
>
> - Leo Simons
>
> In case such info is helpful, some filetypes (top-of-head) we'd
> like to be able to send/receive:
>
> Binary files
> ---
> .zip
> .gz
> .tgz
> .jar
> .bar
> .sar
> .war
> .ear
> .class
> .pdf
> .gif
> .jpg
> .png
> .svg

I personally would not like to encourage sending .class files
by themselves.  Not only do many corporate systems strip out
those emails, but they do pose a potential security risk.  There
is no way to know what the compiled class does.

With the archives (JAR, BAR, SAR, WAR, EAR), there are other ways
of validating them, so they should be OK.

-----Chris Rock

Re: dev@avalon.apache.org attachment configuration request

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> Avalon would like to be able to send/receive attachments on
> dev@avalon.apache.org. At the moment just about everything
> is blocked. AIUI from recent talks here wrt to the log4j list(s),
> behaviour is quite configurable, and that it is easiest to just allow
> all mimetypes through.

That should now be the case.  The previous behavior was to simply remove
attachments from messages, but still send them through.  Now, attachments
will not be removed.  There is still a 100K maximum size on emails,
though.

> Our only concern is still making sure that viruses do not get
> through. Not knowing exactly how (if any) antivirus tools are
> set up, I guess I should just leave it up to you to decide how
> to make sure that doesn't happen :D

There are no real antivirus tools used.  My hacky "spamwatch" script
captures a pattern used by the Sircam virus and its relatives, which is
currently blocking around a thousand messages a day on apache.org.  If you
get other viruses on the list, send me a full pristine copy of the message
and I'll see if I can add another pattern.

	Brian