Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by dylan25 <db...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/26 16:41:10 UTC

Topic Subscriptions using Proton's C API

Hello,

My name is Dylan. I am a software engineering intern that is working on MOM.
I am currently working on a C-based AMQP 1.0 program that implement
Publish/Subscribe functionality with topics. I have been looking at Qpid
Proton's C AMQP 1.0 API for this, although I have been unable to find the
functionality for topic-based subscriptions. I am quite a novice to MOM and
I was wondering if anybody might be able to point me in the direction of
documentation and/or sample programs for Proton's topic-based subscriptions?

Thank you, any and all help is appreciated!

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
HEY ALL! Where are the C demos for simple send/receive using the new
reactor API? I would like to point at them but can't find them...

On Sun, 2015-04-26 at 07:41 -0700, dylan25 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Dylan. I am a software engineering intern that is working on MOM.
> I am currently working on a C-based AMQP 1.0 program that implement
> Publish/Subscribe functionality with topics. I have been looking at Qpid
> Proton's C AMQP 1.0 API for this, although I have been unable to find the
> functionality for topic-based subscriptions. I am quite a novice to MOM and
> I was wondering if anybody might be able to point me in the direction of
> documentation and/or sample programs for Proton's topic-based subscriptions?
>
> Thank you, any and all help is appreciated!

Hi Dylan,

Proton is a protocol engine that provides the ability to send and
receive messages to arbitrary AMQP 1.0 endpoints. It does not have
topic-based subscriptions (or other common messaging features like
message queuing) built in.

Proton clients can talk to message brokers that do provide such
services. For example you can download the Qpid C++ or Java broker from
qpid.apache.org and use the clients in proton/examples (or write your
own) to send/receive on topics provided by the brokers. Just put an
address in your proton messages that matches the address of a topic or
queue on the broker - the address syntax depends on the broker you use.
The python examples provide a good set of toys to play with.

If you are ambitious you can build features like topics on top of
proton. It is not hard to build a simple demo broker or topic server. I
don't think there is one in C but examples/python/broker.py will give
you an idea in python.

The proton API is undergoing some changes. The python examples use an
event-based API which is the new trend. This is also possible in C, the
examples in examples/engine/c are the closest fit, although I think they
can be simplified based on recent improvements in proton. The
"messenger" examples are for the older style API.

Cheers,
Alan.