Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/05/14 05:09:51 UTC

Allan's May14 new revision

Allan has worked hard to making this new revision:
http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May14/dst_html/

Please comment how does it look for you

changes:

* reshuffled top-html.
the whole top [from logo to download widget] is now one
whole entity.
- this is because we want the top nav-widget to stay fixed
even if a pre-section should increase the content-size to
the right. this ws mostly a problem in ns4.
- as a side-effect the spanning problems in konqueror wrt
the camel should now be solved.
- also the html is slightly better performance-wise i reckon
[though more complicated code-wise] as there's no nested
html-tables now.
- also as a side-effect things [notably body specifications]
have been re-shuffled in the stylesheet - have a look :)

* the search box should contain no extra white space in any browser.

* pre-sections are now de-tableized from before; instead we
use a css-trick to create the left vertical bar.
- we save some bytes and its more in line with what we are
doing with css on this site and it looks better in ns4 IMO
- the vertical bar is the same color as the qoutation at the frontpage

* menu
- i just reversed the colours a bit. this is my personal
favourite combination, but i can easily live with the
combination in the current cvs preview

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Also it seems that the pages look better when there is more space at the
top, like in the current cvs. (the spacing that Bill has added). I don't
understand why is it important to align the title with the top of the
menu. To me the menu and the content area has little to do with each
other alignment-wise.

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> plus need some more work for text browsers. need to add \n before the
> <pre> section. Try lynx to see what I mean. I guess this may be the
> responsibility of Pod::POM, right?

scratch that. it seems to be a problem in lynx. links(1) renders it just
fine.

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Allan has worked hard to making this new revision:
> http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May14/dst_html/
>
> Please comment how does it look for you

Very nice! Looks like we are getting close to the release.

One new problem I've noticed is that in Opera5/linux everything is in
bold (the same problem with the current cvs). Any ideas why? Do you see
the same problem?

> changes:
>
> * reshuffled top-html.
> the whole top [from logo to download widget] is now one
> whole entity.
> - this is because we want the top nav-widget to stay fixed
> even if a pre-section should increase the content-size to
> the right. this ws mostly a problem in ns4.
> - as a side-effect the spanning problems in konqueror wrt
> the camel should now be solved.
> - also the html is slightly better performance-wise i reckon
> [though more complicated code-wise] as there's no nested
> html-tables now.
> - also as a side-effect things [notably body specifications]
> have been re-shuffled in the stylesheet - have a look :)

looks good on linux: mozilla1.0-rc1, NS4, konqueror, opera5

> * pre-sections are now de-tableized from before; instead we
> use a css-trick to create the left vertical bar.
> - we save some bytes and its more in line with what we are
> doing with css on this site and it looks better in ns4 IMO
> - the vertical bar is the same color as the qoutation at the frontpage

+1

plus need some more work for text browsers. need to add \n before the
<pre> section. Try lynx to see what I mean. I guess this may be the
responsibility of Pod::POM, right?

> * menu
> - i just reversed the colours a bit. this is my personal
> favourite combination, but i can easily live with the
> combination in the current cvs preview

As Per Einar I like much less the strong white color for the menu
headers. After all they are headers, no need to make them stand out.

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by i4...@inet.uni2.dk.
Citat Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>:

> i49242@inet.uni2.dk wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i happen to be at at windows/2000 IE5.5
> >
> > i have a horizontal scollbar ....
>
> on what page? On some pages this is normal, because the wide <pre> text
> forces that. There is nothing you should do about this.

yes there is because its on all pages. im thinking of a hack i will post soon.
the soloution i sent earlier is painfully bad because it wont scale ... if the
title is very long

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
i49242@inet.uni2.dk wrote:
> hi again
>
> an annoying fix for win200/ie5
>
> please add this line to .smallbr
>

> 	display: none;
>
> this will ensure the <br class="smallbr"> in the two small camel-lines (and
> elsewhere, menu for example) to be one single pixel heigh

done in May14's snapshot.

> im not sure if this an legal css notation though?

I guess need to check the spec.

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by i4...@inet.uni2.dk.
hi again

an annoying fix for win200/ie5

please add this line to .smallbr

	display: none;

this will ensure the <br class="smallbr"> in the two small camel-lines (and
elsewhere, menu for example) to be one single pixel heigh

im not sure if this an legal css notation though?
/allan

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
i49242@inet.uni2.dk wrote:
> hi
>
> i happen to be at at windows/2000 IE5.5
>
> i have a horizontal scollbar ....

on what page? On some pages this is normal, because the wide <pre> text
forces that. There is nothing you should do about this.

> this seem to fix it here on this computer, but i dont know if it will destroy
> things in other browsers as i cannot check it right now

seems fine. though in konqueror the title underline seems to be 10 times
higher.

> win-users please speak up
>

> div.rightbox {
>     position: absolute; /* must be absolute ?? */
>     top: 120px;         /* this might need adjustment ?*/
>     left: 196px;
>     padding: 0px;
>     margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
>     /* this border MUST be _1px_ for ns4 */
>     border: 1px;
>     border-style: none;
>     border-color: #000000;
> }

Re: Allan's May14 new revision

Posted by i4...@inet.uni2.dk.
hi

i happen to be at at windows/2000 IE5.5

i have a horizontal scollbar ....

this seem to fix it here on this computer, but i dont know if it will destroy
things in other browsers as i cannot check it right now

win-users please speak up

div.rightbox {
    position: absolute; /* must be absolute ?? */
    top: 120px;         /* this might need adjustment ?*/
    left: 196px;
    padding: 0px;
    margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    /* this border MUST be _1px_ for ns4 */
    border: 1px;
    border-style: none;
    border-color: #000000;
}

please look and try it at home

./allan

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 11:09 AM 05/14/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Allan has worked hard to making this new revision:
>http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May14/dst_html/

Just a quick peek:

This one is crashing NS4.08/Win98 on more documents now.

NS4 is so screwed up.  For some pages I can't navigate to them, but I can
paste in their URL and it will display.  But the search page is the
opposite, where I can navigate there, but if I open NS4 and paste in the
URL then the page is all messed up.  How frustrating.

The problem with software you download over the Internet is that there's no
box or CD-ROM that can be thrown out the window out of frustration.

>* reshuffled top-html.
>the whole top [from logo to download widget] is now one
>whole entity.
>- this is because we want the top nav-widget to stay fixed
>even if a pre-section should increase the content-size to
>the right. this ws mostly a problem in ns4.

Yea!  IE6 had this problem, too.  That's a great fix!

>- also the html is slightly better performance-wise i reckon
>[though more complicated code-wise] as there's no nested
>html-tables now.

I feel lucky.  It's been a few years since I've been on a modem.

Overall, one thing about the site is it seems like the fonts are big.  I
just pulled up a few other sites and it seems more common to use smaller
fonts.  I wouldn't consider it a problem, but just something I notice.  (In
NS4 everything is not only big, but bold, so it seems.)  The fonts used for
the books (e.g. "The mod_perl Developer's Cookbook") seem more "normal" sized.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org