Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2007/08/21 19:33:52 UTC

Difference between o.a.t.sca.scope and o.a.t.sca.core.scope

Module core contains an o.a.t.sca.scope package.

I'm trying to fix package names to be consistent with the module names
so o.a.t.sca.scope should be renamed to o.a.t.sca.core.scope, but
there's already another o.a.t.sca.core.scope in module core!

What is the difference between these two packages?

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Difference between o.a.t.sca.scope and o.a.t.sca.core.scope

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Raymond Feng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The o.a.t.sca.scope contains the interfaces/classes which used to be
> SPIs while the o.a.t.sca.core.scope contains implementation classes.

As we approach release 1.0, I'd like to suggest again that we pick
a consistent naming convention for SPIs and implementation classes.
We should bear in mind that SPIs are divided into two types:
  1. Interfaces intended to be implemented by extensions.  Adding
     methods to these is a breaking change for extensions and should
     be avoided if possible.
  2. Interfaces intended to be called by extensions.  Removing
     methods from these is a breaking change for extensions and should
     be avoided if possible.

Ideally I'd like to see a clear naming convention that distinguishes
implementations / type 1 SPIs / type 2 SPIs.

Would others like to see this?  If so, I'll make a concrete proposal.

   Simon

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sebastien.

You're right on what I meant "used to be". IMO, these are in the grey areas
as we're not very sure if we should extend the scoping support for other
component implementation types.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Doing either of these things would mean changing the current location of the
>
>> spis of course. Are we ready for that kind of change?
>>

> We're planning on cutting the branch for the release tomorrow so I'm not at
> all keen for a change like this to happen for that :) Post 1.0 we need to
> keep the SPIs stable so its really between now and 1.0 for our final
> opportunity to come up with a structure and SPIs we're all happy with. I
> think we're ready for a clean up like this so should have a go at doing it.
>
>    ...ant

+1 for not making that kind of change now.

I'm simply going through modules and making sure that their packages
contain enough of the module names, but I'm happy enough for now with
core-spi containing org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.* or contribution-impl
containing org.apache.tuscany.contribution.service.util for example.

While this new thread of thoughts about reorganizing the whole set of
SPIs and modules that contain them is interesting, I was a little
surprised to see my little question about sca.scope and vs
sca.core.scope start such an interesting discussion :) and I don't have
any good ideas about it at the moment, so I'll try to comment on the
subject... but later, probably after the 0.99 release.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 8/22/07, Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there plans to include 'spi' to the names of packages in the spi
> module
> as part of this effort ?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Venkat
>

> On 8/21/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino < jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Module core contains an o.a.t.sca.scope package.
> >
> > I'm trying to fix package names to be consistent with the module names
> > so o.a.t.sca.scope should be renamed to o.a.t.sca.core.scope, but
> > there's already another o.a.t.sca.core.scope in module core!
> >
> > What is the difference between these two packages?
> >
> > --
> > Jean-Sebastien

It would be useful for me for SPIs to be more easily identifiable.

A suggestion. Given Sebastiens comment that started this thread we should be
applying the name core-spi to the packages it contains. This would give us a
model to follow in identifying spis, e.g. assembly-spi, contribution-spi,
core-spi, binding-spi, databinding-spi etc.

The alternative is to get rid of core-spi and roll the packages into the the
existing modules. I would still like to see the packages identified as spis
though.

Doing either of these things would mean changing the current location of the
spis of course. Are we ready for that kind of change?

Other points

Not all of the packages in core-spi are part of the SPI we declared in the
CHANGES file
Why are the interfaces in o.a.t.sca.scope an ex-spi?

Simon

Re: Difference between o.a.t.sca.scope and o.a.t.sca.core.scope

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to have the SPIs more easily identifiable.

One thing is that the "lots of individual modules" structure is aimed at
making Tuscany developer's lives easier and the tuscany-sca bundle jar is
aimed at making Tuscany user's lives easier. Should we encourage most uses
to use the bundle jar not the individual modules (as discussed on the
Geronimo integration thread [1])? I think so, and then having the SPI
classes identifiable from the package name not the module name sounds good
from that respect.

The bundle jar isn't perfect yet, there's the issue with the dependencies, I
also wondered if we should split apart into something like tuscany-scdl4j
and tuscany-sca-runtime so you can use the scdl4j jar if you just want to
process scdl - in a tool or in an integration scenario like Synapse which
wants to use its own runtime, and you use the tuscany-sca-runtime jar when
you want  a complete runtime like with our standalone or webapp distro or
the Geronimo integration? Doing that split could help identify what the APIs
and SPIs are.

   ...ant

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg21802.html

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.