Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> on 2011/08/24 01:21:46 UTC

[VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Hi all,

I just uploaded the third release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc3/

Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-26 15:00 PDT

The rc3 differs from rc1 in the following:
             1. Rename parameter 'blob' back to 'blob_id' in create blob
                operation to maintain backwards compatibility
             2. deltacloudd: support daemonizing
             3. Drivers:
                      * Eucalyptus: make create_firewall_rule and
                        delete_firewall_rule work
                      * RHEV-M: improve exception handling
                      * Mock: refactored driver to fix various bugs, and
                        to make it an easier to understand example of
                        how a driver works
                      * Condor: ddded support files and configs for
                        condor driver
             4. Update/correct copyright and licensing info, based on
                feedback from Sebb
             5. Add ASF incubator logo and disclaimer to project site
             6. Various fixes in the HTML UI
             7. Added rake task 'routes' to print all routes
             8. Client:
                      * fix formatting of instance addresses (Mark
                        McLoughlin)
                      * do not require lib/base_object to avoid
                        LoadError

The rc2 differs from rc1 in only two small changes:
     1. Fix cucumber tests that failed because of the version bump
     2. Fix an issue where POST requests containing matrix params were
        not processed correctly (e.g. POST /api;driver=mock/instances
        was failing)

I include the announcement for rc1 for convenience:

Many thanks to all those who contributed patches, reported bugs, and
asked for features. It's great to see that the list of committers and
patch contributors is steadily increasing.

Overview of the changes for this release:

Server:
  * deltacloudd: new option --drivers to list all drivers
  * deltacloudd: new options --ssl, --ssl-key and --ssl-cert to
    enable HTTPS support
  * API entrypoint reports features in JSON
  * unify response behavior: any operation returning a 201 Created also
    sets the Location header to point to the new resource; ensure the
    status for an operation is the same regardless of output format
  * Add type to public addresses; type can be one of 'ipv4', 'mac', 'vnc',
    and 'hostname'
  * Complete overhaul of the HTML UI, now uses jquery-mobile
  * Response status for attach/detach storage is now 202 (instead of 302)
  * Response status for get/set blob metadata is 204 No Content
  * Response status for (un)register with load balancer is 204 No Content
  * The user_name feature now reports the permissible length of the name
    as the 'max_length' constraint
  * Add Date header to responses as per RFC 2616
  * New collection 'firewalls' for managing sets of firewalling rules
  * split server/config/drivers.yaml into individual files so each driver
    can be packaged separately; gives deployers better choice of what
    drivers they want enabled
  * Numerous bug fixes and improvements to the test suite
  * Drivers
    + Condor
      - new driver to run a simple cloud based on the Condor grid scheduler
    + EC2
      - Fix bug in reboot instance so that the details returned are those
        of the stopped instance, not some random instance
      - Support getting and updating blob metadata
      - support destroying images
      - support firewalls (security groups)
      - do not support user_name anymore; instance tagging is too fragile
        in EC2 to be used reliably for this
      - do not support registering an instance with a load balancer upon
        creation anymore
      - stream blob PUT to backend (requires thin)
      - support attaching EBS snapshot to instance upon creation (feature
        'attach_snapshot')
      - support elastic IP's
    + Eucalyptus
      - support firewalls (security groups)
      - support elastic IP's
    + Gogrid
      - when retrieving single realm, make sure we return the right one
      - correctly capture load_balancer params
      - report a listener if load_balancer has no instances
    + Mock
      - support destroying images
    + Rackspace
      - support destroying images
      - stream blob PUT to backend (requires thin)
    + RHEV-M
      - support creating and destroying images
      - report VNC address of instances
      - can use Audrey's confserver to fetch IP of an instance
    + vSphere
      - turns a VMWare vSphere installation into a cloud
      - driver stateless, state is stored in vSphere's data store in
        'deltacloud' folder
      - images are template VM's
      - single HWP, whose max_cpu and max_memory are based on available
        cpus and memory across all vSphere hosts
      - support data injection via user_data and user_iso (upload entire
        ISO image) For both, instance gets virtual CD-ROM with injected
        data

Client:
  * make authentication info for instances available
  * retrieve type and address for public addresses of an instance
  * deltacloudc: allow specifying bucket location when creating a bucket

Site:
  * Major rewrite of REST API docs, covers the entire API now
  * Add libdeltacloud API docs

I will update the website and docs to reflect those changes in time for
the official release.

David

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>.
On Aug 24, 2011, at 1:21 AM, David Lutterkort wrote:

+1 for release! This is a great RC.

  -- Michal

Michal Fojtik, mfojtik@redhat.com
Deltacloud API: http://deltacloud.org

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by Sang-Min Park <sa...@eucalyptus.com>.
+1. Worked flawlessly with Eucalyptus.

--SM

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>      - driver stateless, state is stored in vSphere's data store in
>        'deltacloud' folder
>      - images are template VM's
>      - single HWP, whose max_cpu and max_memory are based on available
>        cpus and memory across all vSphere hosts
>      - support data injection via user_data and user_iso (upload entire
>        ISO image) For both, instance gets virtual CD-ROM with injected
>        data
>
> Client:
>  * make authentication info for instances available
>  * retrieve type and address for public addresses of an instance
>  * deltacloudc: allow specifying bucket location when creating a bucket
>
> Site:
>  * Major rewrite of REST API docs, covers the entire API now
>  * Add libdeltacloud API docs
>
> I will update the website and docs to reflect those changes in time for

Sang-Min Park
Engineer
Eucalyptus Systems

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>.
On Aug 24, 2011, at 1:21 AM, David Lutterkort wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just uploaded the third release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
> available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc3/
>
> Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-26 15:00 PDT

+1 for release! This looks like a great candidate.

  -- Michal

> [...]
>      - driver stateless, state is stored in vSphere's data store in
>        'deltacloud' folder
>      - images are template VM's
>      - single HWP, whose max_cpu and max_memory are based on available
>        cpus and memory across all vSphere hosts
>      - support data injection via user_data and user_iso (upload entire
>        ISO image) For both, instance gets virtual CD-ROM with injected
>        data
>
> Client:
>  * make authentication info for instances available
>  * retrieve type and address for public addresses of an instance
>  * deltacloudc: allow specifying bucket location when creating a bucket
>
> Site:
>  * Major rewrite of REST API docs, covers the entire API now
>  * Add libdeltacloud API docs
>
> I will update the website and docs to reflect those changes in time for

Michal Fojtik, Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat Czech

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:10:45AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> My understanding was that the NOTICE file lists copyright holders - the
> reference to Red Hat is there because the initial code grant came from
> Red Hat; since the grant was under the ASL, I don't understand why that
> would need to be called out separately in the LICENSE file.

So apparently, Red Hat has contributed code which falls under either option 2
or 3 listed here:

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright

    1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
       the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:

        1. remove such notices, or
        2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project
           release, or
        3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
           relocation of the notices.

Generally we prefer option 1.

> In any event, is there anywhere on the ASF website that clearly
> articulates what goes into the NOTICE and LICENSE file ? All the
> references I looked at are concerned more with the why than with the
> how.

There's the headers page...

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

... but the most clear description I've ever seen is in a mail that Roy
Fielding sent to sling-dev in 2008:

    http://markmail.org/message/ik3o5vl24o57lfsx

It would be nice to cut and paste most of that message into some Incubator or
Apache dev documentation somewhere.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:10:45AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> My understanding was that the NOTICE file lists copyright holders - the
> reference to Red Hat is there because the initial code grant came from
> Red Hat; since the grant was under the ASL, I don't understand why that
> would need to be called out separately in the LICENSE file.

So apparently, Red Hat has contributed code which falls under either option 2
or 3 listed here:

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright

    1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
       the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:

        1. remove such notices, or
        2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project
           release, or
        3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
           relocation of the notices.

Generally we prefer option 1.

> In any event, is there anywhere on the ASF website that clearly
> articulates what goes into the NOTICE and LICENSE file ? All the
> references I looked at are concerned more with the why than with the
> how.

There's the headers page...

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 15:52 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 24 August 2011 15:13, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 24 August 2011 00:21, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I just uploaded the third release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
> >> available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc3/
> >>
> >> Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-26 15:00 PDT
> >>

> > Where is the KEYS file?
> >
> > Where is the SVN tag?
> >

> There are some inconsistencies in the archives.
>
> The NOTICE files in both archives mention redhat, yet there is no
> corresponding mention in the license file.
> If the archive(s) contain redhat code, then the LICENSE must be
> updated. If there is no redhat code included, then the NOTICE file
> must be updated to remove the reference - it's important that the
> NOTICE file only contains required notices.

My understanding was that the NOTICE file lists copyright holders - the
reference to Red Hat is there because the initial code grant came from
Red Hat; since the grant was under the ASL, I don't understand why that
would need to be called out separately in the LICENSE file.

In any event, is there anywhere on the ASF website that clearly
articulates what goes into the NOTICE and LICENSE file ? All the
references I looked at are concerned more with the why than with the
how.

> There are some files without AL headers (and no other license), for example:
>
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/bin/deltacloudd
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/addresses.xml
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/condor.yaml
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/drivers/*.yaml
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/base_driver/exceptions.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/mock/data/conv.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/rhevm/rhevm_client.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/vsphere/vsphere_client.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/vsphere/vsphere_filemanager.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/sinatra/rack_syslog.rb
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/public/javascripts/application.js
> deltacloud-core-0.4.0/public/stylesheets/new.css
>
> There are quite a few .yml files as well; not sure if those allow
> comments or not

I'll add AL headers to the code files listed above (deltacloudd, *.rb,
*.js, *.css) The YAML and XML files are simply data, and therefore not
copyrightable by themselves in any event - I am following the precedent
of how httpd ships its config files w/o license headers.

> The client archive does not have any AL headers in the yml files, but
> otherwise seems OK.

Same here.

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 August 2011 15:13, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 August 2011 00:21, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just uploaded the third release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
>> available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc3/
>>
>> Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-26 15:00 PDT
>>

> Where is the KEYS file?
>
> Where is the SVN tag?

There are some inconsistencies in the archives.

The NOTICE files in both archives mention redhat, yet there is no
corresponding mention in the license file.
If the archive(s) contain redhat code, then the LICENSE must be
updated. If there is no redhat code included, then the NOTICE file
must be updated to remove the reference - it's important that the
NOTICE file only contains required notices.

There are some files without AL headers (and no other license), for example:

deltacloud-core-0.4.0/bin/deltacloudd
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/addresses.xml
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/condor.yaml
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/config/drivers/*.yaml
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/base_driver/exceptions.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/mock/data/conv.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/rhevm/rhevm_client.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/vsphere/vsphere_client.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/deltacloud/drivers/vsphere/vsphere_filemanager.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/lib/sinatra/rack_syslog.rb
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/public/javascripts/application.js
deltacloud-core-0.4.0/public/stylesheets/new.css

There are quite a few .yml files as well; not sure if those allow
comments or not

Also .css files allow comments, but some of them appear to be autogenerated.

The client archive does not have any AL headers in the yml files, but
otherwise seems OK.

I think the problems in the N&L files and the missing AL headers are blockers.

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/deltacloud/KEYS

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/deltacloud/tags/release-0.4.0-rc3/

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.
On 24/08/11 02:21, David Lutterkort wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just uploaded the third release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
> available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc3/
>
> Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-26 15:00 PDT

+1 release rc3

marios

Posted by Sang-Min Park <sa...@eucalyptus.com>.
> [...]

>      - driver stateless, state is stored in vSphere's data store in
>        'deltacloud' folder
>      - images are template VM's
>      - single HWP, whose max_cpu and max_memory are based on available
>        cpus and memory across all vSphere hosts
>      - support data injection via user_data and user_iso (upload entire
>        ISO image) For both, instance gets virtual CD-ROM with injected
>        data
>
> Client:
>  * make authentication info for instances available
>  * retrieve type and address for public addresses of an instance
>  * deltacloudc: allow specifying bucket location when creating a bucket
>
> Site:
>  * Major rewrite of REST API docs, covers the entire API now
>  * Add libdeltacloud API docs
>
> I will update the website and docs to reflect those changes in time for

Sang-Min Park
Engineer
Eucalyptus Systems

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc3

Posted by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>.