Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vi...@answare.fr on 2002/09/04 14:35:48 UTC

Apache + Tomcat multiple instances

Hi all,

I already run Apache 2.0.40 + 2 instances of Tomcat 4.0.3 under Windows
2000.
To get the 2 instances running, I made 2 "server.xml", 2 "worker" directory,
2 "temp" directory and 2 "webapps" directory.
So it looks like 2 installations of Tomcat on one machine.
To run the instances, I modified the "catalina.bat" to execute 2 commands
"java.exe ....".

My questions are :
	Does another solution exist to run Tomcat in multiple instance? I think (1
server.xml which contains 2 services for exemple).
	Does one service correspond to one instance?
      Are we obliged to create 2 webapps directory in my case?

Thanks,

Vincent.

RE: Apache + Tomcat multiple instances

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.

I'd think you'd need 2 logs directories as well.

> So it looks like 2 installations of Tomcat on one machine.
> To run the instances, I modified the "catalina.bat" to execute 2 commands
> "java.exe ....".
>
> My questions are :
> 	Does another solution exist to run Tomcat in multiple instance? I think (1
> server.xml which contains 2 services for exemple).
> 	Does one service correspond to one instance?
>       Are we obliged to create 2 webapps directory in my case?

I think that if you really want/need two separate instances, what you
have is the way to go.  It may seem wasteful, but it isn't really,
because all the stuff that can be shared, is shared (e.g. bin,
classes, common, lib, server).  All of the other stuff (e.g. the
directories listed above) are particular to a tomcat instance.

Now, it may be that what you want/need to do doesn't require two
instances, but you haven't said anything about that, so we really
can't comment on that.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

RE: Apache + Tomcat multiple instances

Posted by Vi...@answare.fr.
Nobody have an idea?
Need you more explications?

I already run Apache 2.0.40 + 2 instances of Tomcat 4.0.3 under Windows
2000.
To get the 2 instances running, I made 2 "server.xml", 2 "worker" directory,
2 "temp" directory and 2 "webapps" directory.
So it looks like 2 installations of Tomcat on one machine.
To run the instances, I modified the "catalina.bat" to execute 2 commands
"java.exe ....".

My questions are :
	Does another solution exist to run Tomcat in multiple instance? I think (1
server.xml which contains 2 services for exemple).
	Does one service correspond to one instance?
      Are we obliged to create 2 webapps directory in my case?

Thanks,

Vincent.

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>