Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by hussayn <hu...@saxess.com> on 2008/09/08 13:37:52 UTC

cocoon consumes 90% cpu time when idle. how to avoid that ?

Hi;

i am currently pulling cocoon from my test enviropnment my production
environment.
there is monitored a very high cpu-load (between 50%-90% consumed by the
jetty process, changing from second to second) although there is no traffic
at all on the machine nor on the cocoon-application.

So i wonder, how this high cpu-load can be explained. The application itself
seems to
run fine (at least within our functional tests, we did not yet make any
performance tests)

thanks for any hint.

regards, hussayn

Re: cocoon consumes 90% cpu time when idle. how to avoid that ?

Posted by hussayn <hu...@saxess.com>.
I am still investigating here. I meanwhile have found one suspicious element:
When i issue kill -3 on the jetty process, i get this thread stack dump
below.
Can it be, that the file system monitoring consumes the cpu-time ?
If so, is it possible to disable the file-system-change-scanner ?
I found this in the web.xml:

<listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.cocoon.tools.rcl.wrapper.servlet.ReloadingListener</listener-class>
</listener>

Is this related ???

Anyways, here is the thread dump:

Here is the thread dump (condensed to some extent):
"Thread-3" prio=1 tid=0x08953bb8 nid=0x2fb7 waiting on condition
[0xb02b4000..0xb02b4e30]
        at java.lang.StringCoding$CharsetSE.encode(StringCoding.java:334)
        at java.lang.StringCoding.encode(StringCoding.java:378)
        at java.lang.String.getBytes(String.java:812)
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.getBooleanAttributes0(Native Method)
        at
java.io.UnixFileSystem.getBooleanAttributes(UnixFileSystem.java:228)
        at java.io.File.isDirectory(File.java:723)
        at
org.apache.commons.jci.monitor.FilesystemAlterationObserverImpl$MonitorFileImpl.isDirectory(FilesystemAlterationObserverImpl.java:76)
        at
        at
org.apache.commons.jci.monitor.FilesystemAlterationObserverImpl.checkAndNotify(FilesystemAlterationObserverImpl.java:331)
        - locked <0x8a1e4ca8> (a
org.apache.commons.jci.monitor.FilesystemAlterationObserverImpl)
        at
org.apache.commons.jci.monitor.FilesystemAlterationMonitor.run(FilesystemAlterationMonitor.java:122)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

If someone could point me to some in depth configuration tutorials, that
would be nice.
Or at least, explain, how i can disable the file scanning, where can i
configure the file scanner
period ? My goal is to drop the cpu load significantly, when cocoon is idle.

regards, hussayn