Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by simon litwan <si...@wyona.com> on 2005/04/07 17:18:40 UTC

missing xhtml-iso-8859-1 serializer

hi all
after svn up i've got an error about the missing xhtml-iso-8859-1
serializer if i try to use BXE. why it is not there anymore?
cheers
simon

Re: missing xhtml-iso-8859-1 serializer

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.
On Apr 7, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>> but isn'it a lack of backwards compatibly?
>
> no because iso-8859-1 is a bug.

it's a lack of bugwards compatibility
:-) :-) :-)
—ml—

Re: missing xhtml-iso-8859-1 serializer

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>>> no because iso-8859-1 is a bug.
>>

>> what do you mean by bug?
>>
>> If Lenya 1.2 used to have this serializer in, then we cannot just remove
>> it, because third-party publications might have used it.
>>
>> The Lenya community has itself committed to backwards compatibility
>> within 1.2
>> and people count on that.
>>
>> We can certainly make a comment that it shouldn't be used, but not
>> remove it.
>

> Just my CHF 0.02: If the ISO-8859-1 serialization causes problems,
> then this should be considered as a bug.

What is the specific bug? ISO-8859-1 is an encoding and nothing else. It
might be not
a good practice to use it for certain cases, but this cannot be
considered to be a bug.

> If removing the serializer
> solves the problem, then I'd recommend to remove it.

what problem does it solve by removing it?

> When we have to
> break backwards compatibility to fix a bug, then we can't avoid it.

I don't think it breaks anything. I think it has only been removed because
it's not considered best practice and wasn't used anymore within the Lenya
core or its sample publication. But that doesn't mean a thing.

> But it's probably not black&white ...

It is black and white. It's not bug, but it's being used within third-party
publications. Removing it means breaking backwards compability.

The devs/community has commited itself to stay backwards compatible
within 1.2.X.

People need to be able to rely on this.

Exceptions are possible, but they need to be discussed beforehand and
not just executed. And even if it would be bug I think it should be
discussed beforehand.

Each committer needs to accept that and stick to it, otherwise it's not
possible to establish trust within the community.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: missing xhtml-iso-8859-1 serializer

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>>> but isn'it a lack of backwards compatibly?
>>

>> no because iso-8859-1 is a bug.
>

> what do you mean by bug?
>
> If Lenya 1.2 used to have this serializer in, then we cannot just remove
> it, because third-party publications might have used it.
>
> The Lenya community has itself committed to backwards compatibility
> within 1.2
> and people count on that.
>
> We can certainly make a comment that it shouldn't be used, but not
> remove it.

Just my CHF 0.02: If the ISO-8859-1 serialization causes problems,
then this should be considered as a bug. If removing the serializer
solves the problem, then I'd recommend to remove it. When we have to
break backwards compatibility to fix a bug, then we can't avoid it.

But it's probably not black&white ...

-- Andreas

Re: missing xhtml-iso-8859-1 serializer

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.